Liverpool Vs Arsenal (PL)

Unless we get one of the top managers in the world we aren’t going anywhere near a league title under this ownership.

2 Likes

Why do you think your bettter than everyone? :joy:

Emery has only been in the job a few months, anyone questioning him need a slap. This rebuilding job is going to take a few years, with our board god knows if he get the money. He’s done a good job with what he has, but we need to give him time.

1 Like

Most of Emery pedigree is built off cup competitions, his 38 league records whilst not bad aren’t exactly anything to get excited about.

Another worry I have regarding Emery’s is he seems to fail to manage big personalities, if we want to be a big club we’re going to have to get big players.

Doesnt matter about the manager if you dont get investment.

1 Like

Because it’s in the matchday thread. However, I’m not talking about just this match. It’s about the trajectory this team is currently on. It’s a pattern of never getting it right in the first half. It’s the constant adjustments he makes. It’s about the squads he picks. He has zero creativity in the center of the park, he heap tons of pressure on our young left winger and when he doesn’t deliver the fans pile on his back. It’s the fact that he can’t figure out how to make our two best players work together, It’s about the fact that he played Xkaka in the middle of a back 3 and sent the wing backs bombing forward with zero coverage int he middle of the park.

Emery is getting tactics and formation wrong. If those were correct and the players weren’t delivering then I would join you in blaming Wenger.

Yeah generally I agree. A few exceptions to the rule though like Diego Simeone winning La Liga in 2013/2014, Jardim winning the league with Monaco in 16/17 and of course Leicester City.

Leicester wouldnt of challenged these or city though would they.

Atletico is a better example, been competitive in La Liga and CL for a lengthy period without huge investment.

What an absolute clusterfuck of a team we are defensively.

4 Likes

I agree with you that Emery hasn’t been flawless, but I never expected him to be. He’s a very good manager, not a world class one, and he has to try and fix an absolute mess here.

Some of these decisions that you cite are simply driven by injuries and a lack of options in the squad. We can debate playing Xhaka at centreback, and I wouldn’t have, but he obviously only did so because he was forced to make an adjustment. I think that when he deployed him at left back, be actually performed quite well and many people wouldn’t have expected that. I doubt we would’ve ever seen the back three if we didn’t have so many injuries and a lack of quality at CB, which is out of his control also.

The simple fact is that this isn’t Unai Emery’s team yet, and I doubt we are playing his preferred formation right now (of course we aren’t). Next season is when I will hope to see it more clearly, and he needs Kroenke to help him or there isn’t a chance.

Concede that but the talent is better imo. But yeah im a huge admirer but youve got fans who are prejudiced against anything that has a safety factor built in.
This despite the fact weve been a pretty horrible watch for the last few seasons by the classy guy.

1 Like

People keep repeating this. It IS his team. He needs to manage it. No amount of mental gymnastics will change that fact. You can blame Wenger for these players, but they don’t play for Wenger anymore.

But it’s in Wenger’s control? Don’t get me wrong, I’m not asking for Emery to be sacked. I want to give him a chance. I want him to succeed. But I htink blaming Wenger for this season is bullshit. It’s fine to want to give Emery time and space to build his team. But don’t tell me it’s Wenger’s fault.

Atletico has invested (Lots of 20-40m range players in their squad, not as much as the big 2 so you’re right there), They’re just really shrewd in the market, I can’t think of many players that have failed there, even if they do what’s really impressive is how they get their money back for their duds.

Jackson Martinez for example bombed and they got their cash back.

2 Likes

It’s probably been a blessing he’s been banned for several weeks on here. Since the Spurs game, our performances have been dreadful. Had Luca been around, I honestly dread to think how bad his reaction would’ve been over recent matches :grimacing:

2 Likes

Exactly this shit incompetence still holds us back.

It’s why we can’t afford as much as other teams and we shall continue to be a shit team until this gets sorted.

God Gazidis truly was fucking shit at his job here, wasn’t he?

1 Like

You can’t completely divorce what happens this season from what happened in the recent past though. The reason a new manager is here is because he is trying to fix what the old one left behind, that’s the nature of things.

Emery isn’t perfect and we’ve seen that clearly, and I don’t want to blame Wenger anytime we lose a match, but in a conversation about where we are as a club and how tough the task is to improve us so that we can genuinely compete with our rivals, Wenger’s fingerprint on us is absolutely relevant a mere seven months after he’s left a club he had such a strong influence on for so long.

So does he get the credit for 22 unbeaten streak? Or do you want all that credit to go to Emery? It doesn’t matter what Wenger did. It matters what Emery does. We hired him to manage this team. He is the only manager of this team. He has to take the lumps with the plaudits. Simple as.

2 Likes

Don’t forget our commercial deals that were lagging behind the likes of United and Chelsea too.

Not sure what he was good at.

I even had Bayern Munich mates bantering me this morning, texting me saying “ I didn’t think we were playing you guys this season “