Liverpool

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I think I might actually have Klopp over Wenger now.

I’d love to hear everyone else’s thoughts on the matter.

14 Likes

2 Likes

It always takes me a minute to figure out it’s OA I’m looking at when I see a screenshot of the non dark theme.

1 Like

I do find it quite funny (hilarious actually) that this is Liverpool’s best start in however many years, they’re on target to have a goal difference of +63…and if you’d told them they’d only have conceded 5 goals after 13 games about a year ago, they’d have bitten your whole damn arm off.

But City are on target to score 120 goals, achieve a goal difference of +105 and have also only conceded 5 goals…and with arguably their best player De Bruyne missing most of the season so far.

Liverpool will probably achieve 90+ points this season but they’ll still finish second despite all the progress they’ve made. And Klopp will probably fuck up another cup final as well :arteta:

2 Likes

They go again next season :wink:

You know, that’s the one positive I can take from us not being contenders this season.

If we were playing to Emery’s full potential, had new signings in place etc, then this would be an incredibly frustrating season. It would be akin to how well we played in 2004/05 where we could have won any other league in Europe given the number of points we amassed but we came second to the Russians.

As for Liverpool, it couldn’t happen to a nicer bunch of fans!

It does, however, prompt the wider question as to how or when any other team will ever win the league given what Manchester City are currently doing

When Pep Guardiola leaves, no one else is winning the league again until he departs.

In all fairness I wasn’t so pissed at that thought, anyone but united or Chelsea, but this story that’s broken, true or not (it absolutely could be true given how scummy they turned) about city and their intentions to build a training centre in London has irked me a bit. Fuck them and their money laundering ways.

2 Likes

It always feels like that… you have to remember a few years ago when City had an insane start in league and CL and people were saying they were the best club team of all time - it was totally ridiculous and hyperbolic and of course regression to the mean hit them hard.

Teams at the top are never quite as good as you think and teams at their nadir are never quite as bad… right now City look imperious and likely to take top again, but they are only TWO f*ing points above Pool and 5 above Chelsea… if Chelsea had done better business and taken care of striker properly, they could be in the same convo… and Spurs have 10 wins in first 13 games - they are no joke, as much as it pains me to say.

Spurs will have injury crisis at some point I predict and fall off… Chelsea won’t be able to keep up, and City will be just enough more consistent than Pool. Reality is, the top of the Prem is weaker than normal b/c of Arsenal and ManU…

If Pep stays another 3 years after this year, they will not win all 3 (and probably not even 2/3).

But that was before they set a season record at 100 points and are now on target for 105 points this season. They won’t do that but they will almost certainly win back to back titles. Liverpool and Spurs having their best sides in decades doesn’t change that.

1 Like

Your opinion was not popular when Wenger was still here.
Now is totally different.

Too bad the Klopp vs Wenger thread was closed/deleted. It was a stupid but fun thread to read and write. One Wenger win Wenger should stay, One Klopp win he was over Wenger… :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually can’t believe the poll has that many Wenger votes… :grimacing::grimacing:

2 Likes

Wenger still trumps Klopp. Don’t @ me

They are favorites to win this year for sure, but things change year to year… and as good as they are, they are only 2 points above Pool atm… they could suffer a key injury or two, De Bruyne could have setback, etc…

I am not saying they won’t be favorites going into next year too, but sht happens and cycles of player development and aging, etc. complicate matters… injuries can change things… FFS Leicester fing City won the Prem during the modern era…

1 Like

If you compare Klopp to Mourinho, Poch, Guardiola and Wenger than he has done a remarkable job with Liverpool.

If you can play as well as they have been playing last two seasons and have a midfield of Milner and Wijnaldum then you’re doing something right.

If not for Kariusz gifted two goals who knows how that CL final would have gone.

I think all in all Pool fans should be pretty content.

2 Likes

To balance this out, Liverpool have spent a shed load of money under Klopp. Man City get accused of “buying the league”, but Liverpool aren’t that far behind in that regard. The sale of Coutinho brings their net spend down somewhat, but still.

I’m not saying i’d rather have Wenger than Klopp, but different managers thrive in different environments. We don’t know if Klopp would be as successful with us – if you count winning zero trophies but half challenging for the league and reaching a CL final a success that is.

“You want £150 million for one defender and one goalkeeper? Hahahaha. Here’s £30m instead.” Sure, he’d probably improve some of the players we already have, but whether he could make our current crop into title contenders is debateable.

4 Likes

Liverpool are a long way behind city in buying the league though.City simply spent a 100 million on 2 right backs ffs. Also Klopp has been shrewd in signings like Robertson and Wynaldum and promoted youngsters like Arnold and Gomez which is something city have no interest in doing due to their money rules all outlook.

3 Likes

Pool had financial doping the fair way - Coutinho, Suarez, and some other sales that absolutely bankrolled them massively… plus shrewd buys in Mane, Salah, etc… really the only crazy splash was VVD and their GK, which were “fill in the gap” buys at a tactically smart moment (the merits of the individuals notwithstanding, they were areas of top need).

4 Likes

I think Klopp’s Biggest strength is creating a proper team spirit and playing positive attacking football. Half the job is having a team on the field instead of a bunch of individuals who are all sulking and depressed. Like under Mourinho at United.

United is the quintessential example now of a squad full of good players performing below their actual ability and it all has got to do with poor tactics and a negative atmosphere.

2 Likes

Smart sales mean they have a net spend of fuck all, can’t blame Liverpool for spending the money they’ve made of sales.

3 Likes