Liverpool

Did you actually watch the match?

You can outplay someone without magnificently outscoring them. If Spurs had got something out of that match it would have been a robbery. The scoreline flattered them massively. For about 85 minutes of that match, it was one way traffic! Liverpool cut through Spurs like a knife through warm butter!

5 Likes

if fluking 2 goals and counter with pace against a team who has to commit men forward is outplaying, then the definition of the word outplaying needs serious upgrading.

and by the way is this RAWK or OA?

3 Likes

No just not ridiculously biased against Liverpool haha

1 Like

1 Like

They actually dominated the early play against Real in the final and lost their best player and only really lost due to goalkeeper errors. They battered the best team in the country to get there. They’ve won every game so far having already played Spurs away and PSG at home

No small achievements. I think you’re being delusional trying to downplay their level right now.

3 Likes

Weren’t Rodgers team 3 games away from winning the league? They needed 7 points from the last 3 games and got 4.

That’s a damn sight closer than Klopp has been to winning the league

It’s semantics but had Chelsea beaten Huddersfield at home on the penultimate game of the season, Liverpool wouldn’t have been in the top 4. It’s all ifs and buts, but that would suggest that Liverpool were lucky to get 4th (for the 2nd season in a row)

Wait a minute, hold the phone.

You are aware Liverpool finished 4th, 5 points ahead of Chelsea, right?

Wait…this might be my mistake then. Who were Chelsea chasing? Spurs or Scouse?

Oh, they were chasing Liverpool, alright.

It must be my mistake then. I was almost certain Liverpool were guaranteed top 4 on the last day. The race for top 4 was perilously close after Chelsea beat Liverpool at Stamford Bridge late last season

Liverpool had 7 points on Chelsea in the table and a massive goal difference advantage since the end of February and that went on until the end of April when they threw 7 points out of possible 9. So basically it was always in Liverpool’s hands. It’s all semantics you know but maybe Liverpool wouldn’t have lost to Chelsea late in the season had their top 4 place been in danger. Or they wouldn’t have drawn with WBA. Or Stoke.

Basically Liverpool lost to Chelsea in round 37 and they only had to beat Brighton at home after that to win the CL spot, regardless of Chelsea’s result against Huddersfield which was a rescheduled fixture. They barely managed that by 4-0, just like they barely managed the 4th spot.

You’re absolutely right. Liverpool were only 2 points ahead of Chelsea going into the last game.

1 Like

Ok sarcy cuntishness aside, you’ve confirmed there that Liverpool secured 4th place on the penultimate game of the season.

Hardly “always in control”, which is the semantics I was alluding to

I agree they were expensive but my point was they weren’t top quality, they were below that level.

This has been one of the clubs biggest problems in the transfer market.

We tend to buy a level below what we need, always looking for a bargain, and then end up with three or four players for the same position who are all not good enough.

If you look at our defence, we have several CB’s that would struggle to get in the first teams of any of our rivals and that goes for DM’s and GK.

Liverpool identified there weaknesses and bought a world class CB and GK,.
This is something we have never done.

Putting things in perspective, last 50 games seems like decent sample and spans the beginning of this season, last season, and the last bit of the season before.

So no surprise City is atop:

CIty - 131 points, +101 GD
Pool - 106 points, +63 GD
Spurs - 103 points, +51 GD
ManU - 103 points, +45 GD
Chelsea - 99 points, +37 GD
Arsenal - 88 points, +33 GD

I don’t think anyone projected Pool above around where they ended last year and I don’t think anyone predicted they would win the league this year, but with an historic City team getting 100 points last year, they are the 2nd best team in the league atm and the record in the last 50 games also backs this up… their GD is over 1.2 per game… in that period, they have earned 18 more points than us and have a +30 GD advantage… meaning they on average score .6 more goals than their opponent PER GAME in comparison to us.

And their start this season is phenomenal and their team is exciting and has several threats and they seem to have finally gotten some stability to their shambolic defensive frailties… they aren’t favorites, but they are legit and damn good. And oh by the way, they made it to CL final last year, beating the historic City on the way.

You can hate em on partisan terms, but they look like a legit contender atm and have a great squad.

3 Likes

Don’t think it’s just down to him. They don’t attack like mad dogs anymore and look more focused and organized.

The progression Liverpool have made under Klopp really shouldn’t come as a surprise. They’re on the upward trojectory many had hoped for when he joined them three years ago. They’re off to an awesome start this season and I think so far deserve some hype.

Of course, a season is a marathon, not a sprint, so when it comes to crunch time, when injuries kick in as well as fixture conjestion, that’ll be when we’ll see how they manage, compared to their rivals.

Make no mistake, I think Man City should still be considered favourites to win again this season, Liverpool for what they’re worth, do need to finish around the top 2 this season and win a trophy. That’s the only doubt some people have right now is whether they can get over the finish line and actually win something now. As old Arsene would say, time to show some mental strength.

2 Likes

There isn’t anything semantical about it. There wasn’t a single point in time during last season where Liverpool had to hope Chelsea were going to drop points in order for them to get top 4, it was the other way around. So yeah, Liverpool we’re always in control and for like 90% of the time in the second half of the season they had a cushion of 5-7 points on the 5th placed team.

IT was kind of a surprise for somebody…
Remember the past 2, 3 seasons, we were still debating if Klopp was as good as Wenger???
Wenger was going down fast, and some still thought Wenger was better…

Pool’s improvement was obvious.
Klopp might not be able to get them the “result” in his first season or two, but they started building the squad one at a time, and able to find their identity again under him.
They are just consistently getting better since last year… and getting better players, players that fit their system, fit Klopp’s philosophy.

For me, they are a true contender right now.