Liverpool

Why not getting rid of him immediately?

They have more worldwide fans due to them being the best in the world for allot of the 70s/80s. And in Denmark they may well have been fans of Jan Molby.

1 Like

Carlsberg being the sponsor done nothing for Wimbledon even when they beat Liverpool in the cup final.

png

2 Likes

Arsekissing is alive and well, then.

2 Likes

Remember when people took the piss out of Liverpool signing VVD for 75 mill ? That seems like insane value compared to signing Mustafi for 35 million quid.

1 Like

Remember when he was available for like Ā£10 million bit nobody wanted to buy him because of snobbery

1 Like

Nah, itā€™s still shit value. They could have got Sergio Ramos for that sort of money

Did you really need to bump this thread? Enjoy fucking Spurs losing for once FFS!

Speaking of defenders, I donā€™t have a clue what Leicester City are doing with their defenders! Theyve got the Greek/Turkish/Cypriot fella we wanted to sign and they also signed Jonny Evans in a real cut price deal.

Yet they still persist with an aging Morgan who, while heā€™s won more than Liverpool defenders, is becoming a liability

Morgan will miss the next game and probably wonā€™t get back in after Evans starts.

2 Likes

Yeah compared to Mustafi.
There are many comparisons I can make where it does seem silly to spend 75m on a defender.

If you look at it isolation I agree itā€™s overpaying, but the net impact itā€™s had on Liverpoolā€™s defence it has been money worth spending for them.

It was obviously a lot of money that Liverpool spent on VVD but what is better value, Mustafi and Xhaka for around the same money or VVD for Ā£75m?

As a club we have always gone for the cheap option and have consequently accumulated lots of defenders that simply arenā€™t top quality.

Liverpool needed a top class CB and GK and went out and got the best available.

We need a top quality CB and GK and what do we do?
Send Chambers out on loan and buy a couple of underwhelming but cheap CBā€™s and then stick with a GK who is out of form.

Which club has ambition?

3 Likes

I dunno mate. Not sure about VVD being top class.

Say we signed him instead of some of the utter dross we have. Do you think weā€™d be much better? I donā€™t

Liverpoolā€™s defensive record since January suggests weā€™d have improved considerably also if we signed him.

At the time I thought Ā£75m was a ridiculous fee for a centre half, and I guess if another team who werenā€™t as desperate for defensive improvement as Liverpool had paid it Iā€™d say it still was too steep. But when you look at how much Liverpool have improved since he came on board, he may just be worth that Ā£75m to Liverpool.

The jury is still out on the fee paid for the goalkeeper though. Iā€™m not sure heā€™s made a Ā£60m difference to them. Ditto with Kepa at Chelsea.

2 Likes

The thing with goalkeepers is that itā€™s an invest for the next 10 years though especially for big/rich clubs. If the player at least convinces. If there is any position to overpay for it would be goalkeeper in my opinion.

2 Likes

75M wasnā€™t too much at all. Thatā€™s nothing to football clubs who can afford it.

Couldnā€™t understand people on here taking the piss out of Liverpool when they just signed one of the best center backs in the world. :confused:

5 Likes

football fans would rationalize everything

1 Like