Liverpool

We drew with Chelscunts and Wankchester won it

1 Like

Is there a reason Graeme Souness gets media gigs other than the fact he was a successful player for Liverpool? He seems like the most miserable human being on the face of the earth.

1 Like

Liverpool might not be planning to recruit heavily during the summer transfer window but they have already secured one acquisition in preparation for the 2020-21 season, with Chris Morgan departing his role as head of physiotherapy at Arsenal to rejoin the Anfield medical department.

Morgan spent a decade at Liverpool and when he exited in 2016, the former Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard wrote on social media: “My opinion is he is the BEST there is, the BEST there was, and the BEST there will ever be. Thanks to Chris Morgan for keeping my body together for 10 years.”

Following spells with the Football Association, LA Galaxy and Crystal Palace, Morgan moved to Arsenal in 2018 and has worked as the “run-on” physio under Unai Emery and Mikel Arteta.

Morgan will switch clubs once the campaign has finished and inherit the duties of first-team physiotherapist Christopher Rohrbeck in a department led by Lee Nobes. Rohrbeck is heading back to his native Germany for family reasons and Liverpool are delighted to be replacing him with Morgan, viewing this as rectifying a mistake they made by letting him go in the first place.

With his family still based locally, Morgan’s return to the recently-crowned Premier League champions has been anticipated for some time and will be welcomed by the likes of Jordan Henderson and James Milner, who previously enjoyed a strong relationship with the Englishman.

It enabled Arsenal to begin searching for a replacement and the process is thought to be nearing completion, with sources indicating that Brazilian medic Bruno Mazziotti is lined up for the job.

Mazziotti has been with Paris Saint-Germain since 2018 but following the sacking of their head of performance Martin Buchheit, it was decided that the 42-year-old will leave the French champions once their involvement in the Champions League is over. PSG are through to the quarter-finals.

Nothing has been signed but an agreement is believed to be close. Mazziotti has a tight bond with Arsenal’s technical director Edu, having worked together at Corinthians and the Brazil national team. He has also been employed by Real Madrid, AC Milan and Shandong Luneng in China, as well as Iran’s national team for the 2014 World Cup, and is said to speak reasonable English.

Mazziotti is highly rated by players such as Ronaldo, Neymar, Thiago Silva and Alexandre Pato.

1 Like

He’s from the Hansen and Lawrenson era of Liverpool, when they were the best team in Europe and had hard players that gave as good as they got.
He was a great player but an average manager who dragged Liverpool down to where it took them up until this season to win the PL title.

Like Hansen and Lawrenson, he thinks that players now are soft and he has the attitude of “it wasn’t like that in my day,” and let’s everyone know about it.

1 Like

Souness could quite easily be a top player in this era of football.

1 Like

TBF It was an ageing team but shifting Beardsley, Houghton and McMahon so quick was a mistake. As were the replacements he brought in

1 Like

I agree.
Souness, Hansen and Dalglish were the main reason Liverpool were so successful.
They were all great players but physically and mentally very strong as well.
Pretty good for Scotland also.

I think where he went wrong was bringing in too many hard but not very good defenders like Dicks, Wright and Jones, as well as Saunders and Stewart up front who was no where near top quality.
He also fell out with some of his backroom staff and ex players like Thompson.

He did well at Rangers but only because they bought every available England international and there was no real opposition
His management career was poor with Blackburn, Southampton, Newcastle and a few teams abroad like Torino and Benfica because he fell out with players where ever he went and had a bad attitude.

Probably why he gets the work. People talk about him and how he moans a lot (especially about Pogba). His face is a meme.

I don’t agree with that mate. I went and watched some of their 70s and 80s game and they weren’t any one star carrying them. It was about their fast interchange of passes, one touch where possible and pressing that stuck out the most rather than any one individual. They were a well drilled unit and plenty of players who were decent strikers of the ball. Here they are smashing Spurs 7-0

Theres not a lot of difference in terms of pressing and closing down off the ball than with Klopps teams in many ways.
The seventh goal there is one of the ultimate team goals. grace any era that goal.

They were a great all round team but for me those players were inspirational.
I saw them in a few games at Highbury as well, and they were the best team I’ve ever seen and, like you say, they were a great pressing side and the passing through the opposition was probably the best in Europe.

1 Like

Danny Murphy doesn’t think Liverpool should get a guard of honour

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Oh look Talksport looking for the reactionary phone call. Such a phoney station at times.

1 Like

That seems like a weird reason to justify not having a guard of honour :joy:

5 Likes

That’s just a snippet, but basically sums it up.

He started off his rant by saying “why should Aguero say ‘yeah Firmino, you’re a great player’” then he remembered Aguero was injured so wouldn’t be there, so moved on to super Kev.

Did he leave Liverpool on bad terms? Maybe he is still bitter all these years later

I now like Danny Murphy a tiny bit, as opposed to the 0% I liked him this morning.

3 Likes

@shamrockgooner needs to do a thread on him for us.

3 Likes

Yeah. Liverpool won the champions league the season after he left. Whenever someone talks about that CL final, it seems it irks him a bit.
Apparently Rafa told him he wasn’t going to get much playing time if he stayed, despite his interest to stay at Liverpool.

1 Like

Can be a bit farcical these though. Funny enough when we won in 98 we went to Anfield and rested most of the team for the cup final on the Saturday.
Ended up applauding the second team on the pitch.

2 Likes

When did we start doing guards of honour, I don’t remember this always being a thing?

I feel like they’re kind of a load of bollocks anyway, doesn’t seem at all necessary to make such a big show of it. You’re already champions you don’t need the team you’re facing to metaphorically fellate you pre match.

3 Likes