Laurent Koscielny

I honestly think this is up there with 12-13 and 2015 as the best form of his career.

2 Likes

This man deserves some praise an absolute warrior who put it all on the line for his club last night.

Arsenal legend for me and one of Wengerā€™s best ever signings

3 Likes

I agree.
Considering his age and his injury problems, heā€™s still easily our best defender.
We need to buy two of him in the next window and get rid of the dross we have managed to accumulate in that position.

He is not just a top defender he is also a leader.
All our other CBā€™s are neither.

1 Like

I still donā€™t think any of our current lot are quite Club legends (maybe I set the bar too high) but Koscielny and Ramsey can be considered great servants of the club and can consider themselves unfortunate to have not joined the club a decade before they did, as they wouldā€™ve fitted in nicely

3 Likes

Says a lot about our squad when a defender with one leg is ā€œeasilyā€ the best we have

2 Likes

Sokratis is near or on that level. Koscielny has just been here longer :kosc:

He is short of a legendary status but been a good servant. Im a bit surprised a bigger club never took him though.

Sokratis is just a hustler, Koscielny is like a well equipped educated person

With one leg

5 Likes

One of the few players that will put his life on the line for the club. Hero status for me. Not a legend though only because that hall of fame benchmark is extremely high at this club.

1 Like

When can players be considered legends? If League titles are a requisite basically the 1930s, Graham and Wenger players are the only ones to qualify.

2 Likes

3 FA Cups, a ruptured Achillesā€™ tendonā€¦ and my heart.

Heā€™s a legend :sparkling_heart: Kos the Boss

5 Likes

There are a few exceptions, possibly Charlie George, McClintock and Bob Wilson from the double winning team in 1971 and then Liam Brady was a top European player but I canā€™t think of many others.

71 side that won the double is missing from your post. Fair few legends from that side like the aforementioned George Graham, Pat Rice, Bob Wilson, Charlie George.

If you havenā€™t won a league title with Arsenal then there needs to be something particularly special about you to still claim legend status, like Liam Brady, but not many will meet that standard, particularly from Wenger onwards, as by this point we were fairly accustomed to our legends actually winning things, so it became more integral to our criteria.

1 Like

The way I see it There shouldnā€™t be any debate amongst fans as to who is club legend.

If there are arguments, for me thatā€™s an indication that the player was just a good servant, beloved by few sections.

2 Likes

But Arsenal might not win a League title for another ten years or ever. It just doesnā€™t seem like the most fair criteria. If we hadnā€™t bottled 15/16 Ramsey and Koscielny were legends? Now they are not.

I know rational has no place in these type of discussions, but canā€™t really help myself haha.

1 Like

If Fabregas had stayed with us for a few more years, and hadnā€™t left for Barcelona, Iā€™d call him a club legend even if he won nothing by the time he finished with us. I donā€™t think trophies alone determine legend status but it certainly is a big factor and most of the time you wonā€™t call somebody a legend unless they helped us win trophies.

But Cesc and Vieira are the two best CMs weā€™ve had since I have been following the club. His quality makes up for the fact he didnā€™t win stuff. However, he left the club for Barcelona which taints his legacy.

Koscielny has got the tenure, but not quite the outright consistent brilliance that Cesc displayed. Cesc had the brilliance but not the length of service. I regard Kos as a great servant but not legend status for me. Same with Cesc.

2 Likes

Cesc actually played as many seasons for Arsenal as the aformentioned Liam Brady did :wink:.

But I guess with him itā€™s more a matter of how his exit came about.

And he was with us for the same number of seasons as Henry, playing 1 less though

Really hard to blame Cesc for leaving for arguably the best team in the history of football. And I really wish we brought him back.

1 Like

Not a stretch to call Kos a legend IMO been clutch in multiple seasons getting us top four with contributions against West Brom and Newcastle, plays through the pain barrier consistently now and overall has been a great player for us during his tenure.

Not his fault he was managed during his peak years by someone who didnā€™t have the ability to organise a defence as well as various other failings , no question Kos could have been a lot better playing under a better manager

Heā€™s been the bedrock of any success weā€™ve had in latter half of Wengerā€™s reign, you could say heā€™s a legend of the Emirates era. Very few could be put in such a bracket, however, his case will be undeniable if we win the Europa League.

7 Likes

Players that have played at a consistently great level for at least the best part of a decade for the club.

Players that have bad seasons arenā€™t legends. Being at the club for a long period solely doesnā€™t constitute legend status if form has been up and down.

Agree with @Sol that if Cesc stayed heā€™d have been a legend despite lack of trophies. He played consistently good for years.