Kieran Tierney (Loan: Real Sociedad)

4 Likes

It’s more dumb spaniards overcomplicating things in an attempt to be smart

1 Like

The blood sacrifice Arteta used has paid off.

Well that’s some good news to wake up to on a saturday morning if that is indeed how it plays out.

You know your big when Fergie handing out the praise

14 Likes

Actually he’s very much a Fergie type player. Similarity with Irwin.

6 Likes

Yeah that’s a good point, was only young when Irwin was playing but I remember him being really good going forward. Plus defensively sound as well.

1 Like

Good shout. About as no nonsense a player as you can imagine.

2 Likes

Am I remembering right but wasn’t Irwin also good at free kicks? @shamrockgooner and @Stroller

2 Likes

Also Roy Keane rates him as the best player of all times, that’s not a bad thing either.

2 Likes

Was uniteds penalty taker for a while too and, maybe I’m misremembering, but I think he often took corners as well.

1 Like

Irwin was their most consistent player and Ferguson has often said that he was the most important player in that team.

He wasn’t spectacular and didn’t shout a lot but rarely made a mistake and all the other players looked up to him.

Tierney is a similar player and has a great attitude.
It’s clear we need several more like him in all positions because having a LB as your most influential player doesn’t say much for the rest of the team

It’s no coincidence that when he didn’t play against Crystal Palace, a team we should be beating comfortably, we looked out of ideas going forward.

3 Likes

Off topic, but it’s crazy the number of amazing players the Republic of Ireland and Scotland produced in that period (1970s-1990s) not that they don’t now, but it’s like when you watch any of the best teams from the 70s, 80s and 90s there’s an abundance of Scottish and Irish talent. Arsenal, Liverpool, Utd etc…

Allot of the Republic’s players came through the English ranks and got an Irish passport to play for Ireland,

Not having the pick of the world’s best players also meant clubs had to bring through youth and players playing locally. Generally speaking there was more quality English, Scottish and Irish players as a result of this

2 Likes

We had several Irish players like Stapleton, Brady, Quinn, O’Leary, Jennings, Rice, Nelson, which was probably more than most clubs.
But in the seventies and eighties Scotland had some of the best players in Europe and Liverpool and Man U had a lot of them also, Scotland and Ireland had very good national teams.

I don’t know why it isn’t happening as much now but there does seem to be fewer top players from Scotland, Ireland and Wales playing in the PL.

As @arsenescoatmaker said, there are players coming into the PL from all over the world, which hardly ever happened before so this could be one of the reasons why.

1 Like

Bosman ruling ruined domestic leagues all over Europe.

1 Like

Should have the night off tonight, it’s a Partey situation waiting to happen or worse.

5 Likes

Yeah if we can’t beat Newcastle because Tierney is missing then we’re even worse than I thought

8 Likes

Never say never. They lost to Sheffield but managed to take us to extra time :joy:

2 Likes

Should give him a new contract at the end of the season, can’t afford to lose him

2 Likes