Just how good is Koscielny?

This thread mentioning all the quality defenders who are in the top 10 in the world really does show the lack of quality centre halves in the EPL, aside from Kos this league really has no one in the top 10 IMO.

All the best players are pretty much in La Liga or not in the EPL. Not just centre halves.

Heā€™s defiently in the top 3 in the premier league. However, I consider Pique to be the best defender in the world at the moment

1 Like

Does anyone have an opinion on Godin?

Heā€™s a quality defender.

Yeah, heā€™s very good. Big threat at set-pieces as well.

Needs a hairstylist.

Yeah Conteā€™s.

He a world class CB though, up there with the best.

You know how to spout some serious bullshit, donā€™t you. Barcelona paid 15M for Alex Song, I guess we all know what that means. WORLDCLASS!

Vermaelen had a fantastic start to his Arsenal career, scoring on his debut, netting 3 -4 goals in just as many games and generally having a very prolific, even for a striker, let alone a defender, first half of the season. From then on it was all downhill for him and apart from his first year with us, he has never been even close to one of the best CBs in the league. Iā€™d say in 2011/12 he was still good for us and for the remaining 3 seasons of his Arsenal career he was a liability.

2 Likes

Worldclass ,not world class ,kind of irrelavent really .
Heā€™s ours and he isnt going anywhere and I for one am happy with that .
The Kostafi unit is looking good so Iā€™m happy with that too !

He is very underrated. Heā€™s a beast.

Godin for me is the best CB in the world

2 Likes

Hes good Kosc. He doesnt come close though to a O, Leary, Adams, Bould, Keown or Campbell though.
No shame in that as we probably set the bar as high as any in that department.

Answering the topic question I would reply: better then most, lesser then a few. But thats a judgement on his whole Arsenal career, which isnā€™t really fair. Heā€™s become better and better for every season here and what heā€™s shown so far this season (and most of last) I would rate him in the very top, so called ā€œworld classā€ indeed.

Best low block CB in the world for me. Nobody dominates a box like him. He doesnā€™t seem that great on the ball and I think heā€™d be less effective (although still very good) in a team that played a high line a lot.

For me itā€™s between Boateng or Thiago Silva.

Between Boateng, Bonnuci and Cheillini for me.

Think thatā€™s pretty harsh on him. I didnā€™t see Oā€™Leary but I would definitely put Kos on the level of the latter four, at least certainly on the level of Bould and Keown. Iā€™d probably put him on the level of Adams too (not in terms of longevity or anything, but in terms of quality in a given moment in time), but itā€™s a harder comparison because of the difference in era.

Koz is the definition of a modern center back. Just popping up with overhead kicks to win games.

Kos hasnā€™t given away a penalty for over two seasons whereas Sergio Ramos has given away four penalties in 12 games lol.