Johan Djourou

I don’t think I’d be so negative about him had he not been convinced he was shit hot.

I’m sure it’s his attitude that makes the first thing that comes to mind about him that chance in Nou Camp in the dying minutes where he was in and could have put us through on away goals but instead the ball just feebly dribbled wide. Thought he was the big man but when the time came to show it, that’s what he produced.

Bro he was crap lol. Bendtner was so bad and his post Arsenal career reflects that

I also said he was one of the worst attacking players to amass 100+ performances for the club.

The gulf in quality between Wilford/Kanu and Bendtner is sizeable. It’s not even close. Kanu career is Inter Milan, Ajax and Arsenal and being an international legend. Wiltord was a very handy player for us too who gave us more than Bendtner ever could.

1 Like

I wouldn’t of minded Bendtner as much if he didn’t stupidly say he was on the same level as Messi and Ronaldo and then less than 5 years later he’s playing for Nottingham Forest

Chinese whispers.

Bendtner was at fault for poor choices of words but basically he was talking about his mentality and rest of game play.

IF YOU ASK ME IF I AM ONE OF THE BEST STRIKERS IN THE WORLD, I SAY YES BECAUSE I BELIEVE IT. WHEN I SEE THAT OTHER STRIKERS SCORE A LOT OF GOALS, I REALISE I NEED TO SCORE THOSE GOALS. BUT I THINK EVERYTHING ELSE IN MY GAME IS RIGHT. EVEN IF I BELIEVE I CAN STILL IMPROVE. BUT THE GOALS ARE THE LAST THING I NEED TO ADD AND WHEN I DO I BELIEVE I WILL BE THE PLAYER I WANT TO BE. ONE OF THE BEST

1 Like

Nah, mate. Those players were as shite. First of all I think we’ve been massively underperforming. This season’s, or last season’s, squad is a lot better than the 50 - 56 points they have, and are, getting.

Second the Premier League landschape was a bit different. Man City has only been established in 2008 and wasn’t as good, Spurs became actually competitive around/after 11/12, Liverpool had a dip between '09 and '13.

1 Like

@Cristo stanning for Bendtner is about as old school OA can get.

5 Likes

If you ask me if I am one of the best strikers in the world I say yes because my game is really good apart from the goal scoring part.

I don’t think the additional context really does Bendtner that many additional favours lol.

He is basically saying “I need to add more goals in my game to become one of the best strikers of the game”

Granted it is still quite a statement but much better than how he framed it and how it was eventually decontructed.

People often mention that he claimed to be one of the best but fail to mention his condition to score more goals.

There are quite a few strikers who are considered great players but beyond their finishing, rest of the game is bit average.
I consider Aubameyang as one of them.

Ive always wondered how Wenger entertaimed him here.
Not really the sort of personality and ego he liked at that time. Even the number representing his wages. Very strange that.

2 Likes

Wenger gave a lot of unnecessary leeway to young players.

2 Likes

I had huge hopes for Bendtner during the 2008 season… TBF he was only 20 at that time and was showing some decent stuff.
But he only slowly regressed since then and I absolutely lost all faith in him during the second part of the 2009/10 season when Van Persie was injured and he was the only CF left… Eduardo was there but he couldn’t play as a lone CF in a 433. He was just way below the required standard. Had that famous hattrick against Porto but just looked awful most of the time.

I still think had the attributes to be a striker on Giroud’s level (if his developement went in the right direction after 2008), but just wasn’t smart enough to stick to a certain role and perfect it like Giroud did. Tried to do too much on the pitch (wandering on the wings, trying to take players on etc) and didn’t do much in the end.

2 Likes

It was stupid for him to refer to himself as one of the best strikers around when he acknowledges himself that he still needed to add the goal scoring element to his game. If you’re a striker who hasn’t nailed goalscoring then don’t even start talking about yourself as being one of the best lol.

If you have to say something then at least be clear that you’re talking about your ambitions, don’t say thats already what you are.

Even leaving that aside, it’s also fucking stupid because its not even remotely true that “everything else (apart from goalscoring) in his game was right”, the fact he’d even say that further demonstrates the disconnect between his self image and actual ability lol.

It was the cheap, financially least risk full thing to do at the time I reckon. In his best years Arsenal had experience filling the squad up (Adams, Parlour, Wiltord and Kanu). It’s a real shame, because depending on these young guns to fill out the squad really cost us.

In the end it also became rather expensive because we couldn’t get rid of these youngsters since they were on relatively big contracts.

2 Likes

There is definitely an element of self-confidence overshooting here but I bet that’s how players like Ronaldo, Zlatan etc thought as well before having every attribute in the place. It’s kind of self-confidence great players need to have.
Unfortunately for Bendtner, He was never able to add the goals(which he was never going to) & justify it.

1 Like

He was important that season because if he wasn’t fit then squid played.