January Transfer window thread

Most boring transfer window ever, Jim White’s sad eyes revealed so much as he gamely tried to hype the audience about news of Peter Crouch putting pen to paper up at Turf Moor :grimacing:

2 Likes

Yeah, the Hudson-Odoi situation seems like a player realising early that that shit club is going to do nothing for his career, as the evidence of so many before him suggests so hopefully it’s the start of their chickens coming home to roost.

Still, I bet Chelsea end up eventually at least breaking even on Michy, while we had to to give Lucas away for fuck all.

Shit window but we are in fourth and Chelsea is in shambles. We have to push on. If Emery gets us top 4 I’ll stop slandering him for at least a season while we are in the CL.

Its a pretty remarkable turn of events… suddenly Chelsea are in trouble and Utd drop points… we will fall out of 4th this weekend, but we have had brutal start to second half and will shore up points after this weekend… thinking my 5% to 4th is up around 10% at least atm.

1 Like

I’m thinking it’s more like 40% us, 25% Chelsea, 30% United. Only because I think Chelsea is gonna revolt against Sarri and we’ve got a little cushion against united now and that new manager boost will have ended now.

1 Like

Did it end though? Didn’t they manage to equalize in the final minutes of their match? If they rack up a string of average results then yeah, we’ll know for sure. They could easily go on another great run.

1 Like

We don’t know if it’s ended, but irrespective of when the goals are scored a draw against Burnley at home is a poor result.

True. But shit happens. They still managed to save a point very, very late in the game. I wouldn’t be too quick to make assumptions regarding them. They absolutely outclassed us at our last bout in Emirates.

1 Like

Yeah I’m not saying the United form is going to disappear just yet, in fact I’d probably have them as favourites for 4th.

It is a poor result but you can’t deny the mentality of when goals are scored. If you come back from two down in the very last minute to draw the buzz can be as big, or bigger, than it would be off a mundane 1-0 win off a tenth minute goal.

The psychology is a big part of the new manager bounce, I’d say salvaging that point in that fashion will continue the vibe in their squad.

2 Likes

Their amazing run Spurs and us aside was against bottom of the table clubs. Their fixture list will stack up when Europe/FA Cup/League overlap and then they have the hardest run in of all teams. Comparitively we have an easy run in. They need to be above us with a cushion before their run in really. They have more top 6 fixtures left than we do. They also have to come to the Emirates and sure they beat us once but hopefully we’ll have some actual defenders back for that one.

I don’t consider our run in easy, yeah we have limited games vs the top 6 after this Sunday but 6 of our last 10 games will be away. I’d be surprised if we win 2 of Wolves, Leicester, Everton & Watford away.

1 Like

Other than their run being more recent I can’t see any reason united are more likely to go on to claim 4th over us or Chelsea. I’d say all teams will drop points they shouldn’t between now and the end of the season.

I appreciate the level-headedness but I mean, where is the drama in that?

1 Like

Id say they make top 4 because they have more quality in their squad. People forget they took 2nd easily easy last season too. More options in their side and goal scorers as well.

2 Likes

Nah, they won’t get top 4, their home form is too poor. They still have to play Pool, City and Chelsea at home and away to us. They have to be stellar away to get top 4, meaning they should see victories against the likes of Leicester and Crystal Palace.

Not gonna happen.

I have them getting fourteen points out of them games you mention. Remains to be seen, but im pretty sure they as a club have turned a big corner here.
The only way I see them failing is if they get sidetracked with a good CL run. Even then though id back them to get top 4.

1 Like

They have to play all those teams and most of them away too.

I can accept they’re a better side than us right now but they have an uphill battle

I have them on 8 points from those 6 games :slight_smile:

They might have turned a corner but that will show next season, this one is beyond repair imo. They will finish around the 70 point mark but not more, more than that is too big of an ask and unfathomable.

Top 4 will be reached towards the upper end of 70s.

Im not sure its beyond repair. Id say its being repaired. Top 4 chance and CL and FA cup chances say its a long way from done though.