Ivan Gazidis

I don’t agree about it being a very similar thing, tbh.

Cesc went to his boyhood club, a club his father worked for and he grew up with, which was also on their knees begging for him to come, which was also where the core of the best team of his country (Spain) ever was playing, which was also where the best club team in the world was playing, which is also where the best player in the world and of all time was playing who happened to be an ex-teammate of his at youth level.

RvP basically decided time was up at Arsenal and went to the best opportunity he could find, no matter it be an English rival.

Yes there are consistencies in the two cases–both decided time was up at Arsenal and the club wasn’t going to match their ambitions–but I think the distinction between Cesc and RvP’s cases is really important, aside from how fucking poorly and tactlessly RvP handled it all lol.

For me that’s why Cesc = club legend who did the right thing for his career, RvP = supremely talented cunt (who did the right thing for his career) whose quality I will always remember but don’t even really associate with Arsenal much less a club legend.

4 Likes

When I said very similar, I was essentially highlighting that they moved away from Arsenal to a club that had greater ambition. If Arsenal were all-conquering, I’m not convinced Cesc would have left Arsenal at that age. Same with RvP - genuinely believe that if we had been operating at bona fide title challenger level that neither would have chosen to leave when they did.

I agree that there are a bunch of things that separate the two as you’ve explained. I’m a Cesc fanboy, you don’t need to preach to the converted btw. He is an Arsenal great in my mind.

In addition to the differences you mention, Cesc played at an elite level for probably 7 out of the 8 seasons he was at Arsenal (although their appearance stats aren’t hugely different). Van Persie, on the other hand, only truly delivered world class output in one season where he was fully fit. The season before he hit 30 PL goals, he was performing at a world class level but it was unfortunately cut short by injury. The goal below is one of my absolute favourites, van Persie’s touch for Cesc was utterly sublime. Goal 38 at 8.29. Shows that he was finally producing consistently at that elite level:

There were far more compelling reasons for Cesc to leave. He’d been the heartbeat of Arsenal for so many years that it kind of felt like it was time for him to move on to achieve what a guy of his ability deserved. RvP, on the other hand, only really played at that elite / talismanic level for one complete season. There is a clear reason why there are so many people who still love Cesc (even though he also played at Chelsea ffs) and why RvP is almost unanimously regarded as a snake cunt.

2 Likes

Yeah, I had a feeling that’s what you meant and I know your stance on these issues is rock solid, just like to take the advantage to make that distinction when I can haha.

Yeah, RvP was absolute class, let’s not forget that either…will never forget how he toyed with opponents in 11-12 despite having actual shit around him, nor the budding relationship he had with Cesc in 10-11 which unfortunately, like everything that season, was disrupted by injury and lack of continuity, but which really was something to see for the few glimpses we got of it.

For me the best combination of elegance and necessary qualities for a striker I’ve seen since Bergkamp.

1 Like

Small caveat. Van Persie was always good/delivering when eventually he and Adebayor took over from Henry/Bergkamp. Five goals in seven games at the start of 07/08, seven goals in the first twelve matches of 09/10. 08/09 didn’t seem as good (still an output of 10 goals, 10 assists which for a second striker is not a bad return), but that season our midfield was an absolute mess. No Rosicky, Fabregas injured for almost half the season, first season of Nasri. But in both 07/08 and 09/10 two long term injuries. I think he is 7th or 8th on the all time scorers list, not for no reason.

2 Likes

@Electrifying your man working his magic down in Italy :arteta: lol

1 Like

Sold their youth project down the toilet for Ibra, only to want to sell him a few months later?

Textbook baldy. We may be awful but we are on the road to recovery now he’s gone.

1 Like

Every decision this clown made at this club has now been reversed.

Big hype about the structure around the head coach he was championing and now look. 2 years of huge instability.

And now ruining AC Milan.

COVID-19 ain’t got shit on the Gazidis pandemic.

12 Likes

We just need this Clown to buy a few of our shit players as an token of his apology and we can all call it quits

1 Like

What club will Ivan destroy next?

1 Like

Barcelona could do with some further damage

1 Like

PSG, City and Bayern. Let’s go!
Take them down one by one Ivan, you Greek god!

1 Like

Go on Levy, hire this bald fraud.

1 Like
2 Likes

The good thing about watching Bayern at the moment is Gazidis said we’ll become the next Bayern Munich or something along those lines, I’m looking forward to it.

3 Likes

I think he got confused with Leverkeusen or Gladbach.

1 Like

Why do you post this, knowing full well it’s bollocks?

Don’t you fucking dare. I am having a GREAT day. Got my run in, left Maddie with my parents, Roma jersey was delivered. Do not ruin this for me. :gabriel:

Does the pain never end?

1 Like

My man is getting laid tonight in styyyyyyle

Dont let the bald eunuch ruin it son

3 Likes

:facepalm: Partner works tonight. 7p to 7a.

I played myself.

5 Likes