Igors Stepanovs

Ray talking about the signing is always worth a listen :grin:

Haha this guy was a dud

With Squillacci, Senderos, Sylvestre, Djourou, Mustafi, etc, Wenger’s record of buying CB’s was bad but Stepanovs is up there with the worst.

I remember him and Luzhny in defence when Man U beat us 6-1, they were embarrassing.

3 Likes

This is 100% south of the Davor Suker parallel :joy:

1 Like

Can’t believe you forgot Pascal Cygan there lol

5 Likes

Whenever I think of the yellow kit from that season that is the game that always comes to mind :weary::grin:

1 Like

never even heard of this guy in my life

You lucky boy, lol

https://twitter.com/Gunnersc0m/status/1698587950127141155?t=cfKHbzR-wyNtIiaG34SemQ&s=19

2 Likes

I remember Stepanovs, Luzhny and Grimandi in our defence when we were beaten 6-1 by Man U.
Wenger was great at buying attacking players but some of his defensive signings were no good.

Happy Birthday

1 Like

He did have a few gambles that were stinkers but for every stepanovs there was also the likes of toure who came cheap.

Funnily enough two of the invincible backline weren’t even considered defenders when they signed.

That old Trafford game was a dark day and that kind of result between two big teams really not the norm back then. I remember the shame I felt in school the first day back after the result lol.

2 Likes

Jeffers would happily agree on this

:sol:

1 Like

Injuries ruined him tbf. When he did get a run of games, he wasn’t bad.

2 Likes

Great international record too! Scored every game.

2 Likes

The fox in the box

Crazy the striker depth we had at the club during his time here. Wiltord and Kanu to compete with, nevermind the big two ahead of them.

1 Like

Speaking of Francis Jeffers, is he the only Scouser to have played for Arsenal? We’ve had quite a few northerners play for us but from Liverpool Jeffers the only one that springs to mind. There must be another! Maybe not in the modern era, but certainly stretching back through the years.