Holiday Ideas

I found Berlin a great city to visit if a bit pricey. Went to Moscow for my 50th and loved it tbh.
Id always wanted to go so was always going to like it. Went in the winter too, so found it even better.
Visas push the price up a fair bit though.

If your gf hasnā€™t been to Italy then Iā€™d put it top of the list. Last year I took my gf to Italy - flew to Rome for 4 days, train to Florence for 3 days and train to Venice for 2 days. She wasnā€™t that fussed by Venice but she really loved Rome and Florence and now she really wants to go back to Italy again. I think the train was only 1hr15mins or so so you could easily spend a day in Rome if you went to Florence or vice-versa.

I found Vienna, Ljubljana and Krakow all lovely as alternative places.

3 Likes

I would consider Sorrento as well. You can take a hydrofoil across to Capri which ticks the romantic boxes in itself. You can take a boat trip around Capri while youā€™re there too. Easy access to the Amalfi coast, Pompeii and Vesuvio.

You can also go to island of Ischia which I havenā€™t done buy some say itā€™s nicer than Capri. Bit more exclusive I think, that one.

3 Likes

Again, thanks for all the suggestions. Keep em coming.

@SwissGooner weā€™ve both been to Switzerland quite a lot, itā€™s a lovely country :slight_smile: My uncle lives just inside France and works on the LHC at CERN, so Iā€™ve probably been to Switzerland about twenty times haha. Have been to Zurich, Lausanne, Interlaken and several other places that donā€™t immediately spring to mind.

Iā€™ve been to Barcelona a couple of times and went to Valencia last summer so I probably wouldnā€™t plump for Spain, but Iā€™ve always been intrigued by Madrid. Anyone been? @AbouCuellar, @Robin_L ?

Iā€™d put Copenhagen on par with London. Itā€™s cheaper than Stockholm and Oslo.

You wouldnā€™t regret it. Copenhagen is a fucking sick city, and arguably one of the trendiest cities in the world right now. If you have even the slightest hipster inclinations youā€™ll love it. Incredible food scene, fun nightlife, loads of culture and history.

Itā€™s the perfect city for a Friday-Monday get-away.

In the last two years Iā€™ve had more friends contact me about things to see and do in Copenhagen than any time before. Iā€™ve actually compiled a guide that I copy paste to them because it happens so often, and so far theyā€™ve all really enjoyed the city.

Flights should be pretty cheap out of London too if you book in advance and the infrastructure in Copenhagen is second to none, so easy to get around and itā€™s very walkable. The architecture in Copenhagen is pretty cool too because even though itā€™s an old city we love combining modern architecture with the older stuff.

Let me know if you need any more info :grin:

2 Likes

Jakey you have a house and a guide in Madrid whenever you want. Itā€™s a great city, much less touristic than Barcelona. In Barcelona we say that English is more useful than Spanish. Anyways. Maybe will24 will tell you what he thinks of it as an Englishman.

Prague is a beautiful city. Cheap as well.

If you want to really think outside of the box, try Greenland.

Yeah I agree with all of this!

Madrid is easily my favourite city. So much culture, nice arquitecta, and fantastic bars and parks to enjoy. Itā€™s much better than Barcelona, that just feels too touristy and crowded. Thereā€™s so much to enjoy and see in Madrid Iā€™d recommend it to anyone tbh

Iā€™m about to go to Paris for PSG-Arsenal, ostensibly cos going away with The Arsenal in Europe is sick bruv. But also I havenā€™t been there since 2006 and even then I spent no time doing anything because I was scrabbling around St Denis looking for a cup final ticket all the time.

So any top tips for Paris, in light of whatā€™s over/underrated, things off the beaten trail etc. Iā€™ve often struggled in mega cities like Paris, where thereā€™s almost too many things vying for your timeā€¦

Cheers

Any closer to figuring out a destination @JakeyBoy or do you still need more suggestions?

Milan, Stockholm, Copenhagen, Barcelona

All beautiful places to visit

1 Like

Itā€™s ski holiday booking time but Iā€™m shitting it about a lack of snow after last year. I need to go in December (yeah, I get that itā€™s early but unavoidable), I canā€™t afford the posh glacial resorts in Austria and Switzerland etc. and I donā€™t want long haul. Anyone have any suggestions?

Any Kiwis on this forum ? Myself and the Mrs are going to do the North Island for a week in March and was hoping some Kiwis might be around for some input ?

@Bavin

1 Like

Whoa where have you been?!

Only remembered the forum because Jakey tagged me and I got an email haha

Did you sort this out then @JakeyBoy?

Was gonna suggest Morocco lol. Itā€™s cheap.

Sorrento above is a great suggestion - can hop around the Limoncello shops ā€˜samplingā€™ but really just getting pissed for free. Really picturesque place.

I can recommend a place called ā€˜La Roque-Gageacā€™ on the Dordogne. Roadtripped there a few summers ago with my friends, stopping at Tours and La Rochelle on the way down. Great trip.

Haha thatā€™s hilarious. Hope to see you round some more then.

Cyprus, home from home but with constant sunshineā€¦ Protarasā€¦