Héctor Bellerin

Kind of a different era though, obviously the names you mentioned are the inspiration of what fullback do nowadays but more and more fullbacks coming up now are more attacking than defending minded.
Bellerin imo isn’t bad defensively(not great either) but surely you can’t expect him to defend against 2-3 players at times. Attacking wingers and full backs usually overwhelm the defending full back, with sometimes an extra midfielder joining the two. Can’t do that job alone.

Btw, I know where you are coming from but Emery loves his full-backs acting more as wing backs. I would’ve taken a more defensive approach(given our state) but that’s another story.

You have a point but Hector is terrible in individual duels. It’s been well established he comes off second best against the best wingers and that he relies on recovery pace to rectify mistakes.

He’s always been a poor defender lacking in fundamentals. I’ve wanted him out of the 11 for ages.

There’s tons of obscure top talent at FB that can be secured for peanuts.

Good point. Hector does rely on his pace a lot thus going in irresponsibly at times. He used to do it well with Per on the side but lately that irresponsibility leads to him completely losing his opponent.

I think Hector is fulfilling his function under Emery and will continue to be a greater attacking threat this season. It’s clear Emery wants his full backs to push high up and in particular emphasis is placed on Bellerin being particularly high up.

It does add pressure on our defence and makes us susceptible to counters that’s for sure.

1 Like

Unless Guen and/or Torr are there to cover him, it is a commit suicide if Emery pushes everybody up and have Mustafi to cover Bellerin.

2 Likes

Exactly.

It seems like shit journalism runs in the Morgan family

4 Likes

Would have replied ‘‘it was 125k actually’’ and watched the meltdown begin.

8 Likes

Should have just responded with

7 Likes

I always wondered why don’t we simply convert him into a winger like what happen to Eboue and put Lichtsteiner behind him if he can’t defend for shit.

1 Like

We had Walcott for years and he was terrible at individual duels as well. Yet, people are generally happy with him on the wing.

Yeah he’s a great substitute RW on video games I can confirm.

Well just like Eboue, I’m pretty sure he’d be the worst winger in the league.

I know but it would be better until we get a real winger.

This prick is beyond redemption now. Cant challenge,clear,tackle or anticipate anything. Im struggling to think of a worse right back holding down a regular spot like him.

3 Likes

Is it really true that Barcelona were interested in him and were rumoured to be considering paying 40m, or more, for him?

Same with Ramsey, we could have got around that for him as well.

So we’re stuck with Bellerin, who can’t defend, and Ramsey, who seems intent on running down his contract, when we could have got possibly 80m for the pair of them and bought a proper winger.

2 Likes

Yeah I like Ramsey but we should have sold him to avoid the contract situation, as for Bellerin no idea why you wouldn’t take the money and run.

2 Likes

Speedy not equals to winger.

Some guy called up BBC radio 5 last night to say that the reason Bellerin can’t defend anymore is because he’s a vegan. Basically said he should be dropped until he changes his diet. He was deadly serious :laughing:

Its ridiculous we even know that about him. I know vegans can’t help but talk about it but still.

1 Like