Health and Fitness

Sounds like a brutal challenge but definitely worth the calories you’re burning doing it, good stuff bro

2 Likes

Thank man, been really trying to incorporate more calisthenics into my routines the last 3 or 4 years, big, big fan of pulls up but I’ve never really enjoyed push ups so trying to have days where l’ll focus more on them, burpees and plank variations.

I’ll still use free weights a lot but I get bored easily so calisthenics keeps me motivated and I quite like the functional muscle growth aspect from it, while I don’t really get bigger from it I do definitely think I get stronger.

I’ve been watching That’s Good Money on youtube quite a bit, has some interesting characters on it that have some pretty unique routines. Really need to get myself sorted with an exterior pull up bar. Though my motivation drops as the rainy winter season comes in.

2 Likes

I think body weight workouts is a sure fire weigh to build strength. Obviously nothing builds muscle quite like lifting weights and stuff. But callisthenics is incredible stuff. A lot of the people who know what they’re doing look fantastic too

5 Likes

Didn’t know you’d recently become a father man. Congrats :champagne:

3 Likes

Completely agree, a big part of longevity with exercise is doing what you enjoy. I think too many people get beaten down with the idea of this is the right way or this is the wrong way but if you enjoy what you are doing and stay motivated it’s only going to pay off long term.

I really like to just keep mixing it up, free weights, body weight and calisthenics, full cardio whatever it may be.

People who get bored with exercise need to get youtube subscription and watch some other people for ideas and creativity, there’s this dude on Good Money called Central Park Joe lol, he’s 58 years old and he still absolutely kills the calisthenics all day every day, very motivational as people think when they hit 30 it’s all over but tbh if you think like that you never stood a chance at 15, 25 or 35.

4 Likes

Yep. Too many people get caught up trying to be a robot and doing the monotonous routine you see bodybuilders doing without realising those guys are genetically and mentally in a different realm to regular gym goers.

And funny enough even the top bodybuilders, when there careers are done a lot of them pack it in and stop altogether because of the sheer exhaustion of doing the same thing again and again.

Find things you enjoy doing and mix it up. It’s the same with dieting. I used to be obsessed with the chicken and rice diet but now I eat bagels, cereal, Greek yoghurt and things I actually enjoy.

4 Likes

Pharmaceutically too haha. So many regular people don’t even realize that and it absolutely destroys their confidence and motivation when they grind for a year and don’t come out looking like Sergio Oliva.

11 Likes

I get scared if my heart rate goes above 170

2 Likes

F’ckin hell. 6 and a half minutes a mile. Basically sprinting for 10 miles. Good God almighty

3 Likes

I was huffing up some hills so my HR was a little wacky today.

I did exchange high five with a random guy as we passed by each other. I miss the social part of running a lot. Tough to fit that kind of run club into a schedule with kids. I’m also not really ready to get roasted by a bunch of kids fresh out of college inexplicably cranking out 6:15 miles after a night of eating pizza, tequila and random weed gummies.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, running with other people can get fucked.

I’m 12 days into a 10k a day challenge for September. Going well so far. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Did this slow you down?

1 Like

It probably slowed him down more. He was coming down the hill and I was on the way up.

He was motoring too and that hill is pretty steep.

In terms of the five itself, he held his hand at like waist height and we made good contact. I had about four miles left so it was nice to get encouragement from a stranger. Usually I just have to berate myself through an internal monologue accusing myself of being a failure in life if I get tired. :arteta:

@shamrockgooner what are you running in these days? I’m exclusively wearing Hoka shoes rn. They’re so comfortable but definitely not on the cheap end.

3 Likes

I’m gonna try this when there’s a fit bird running in the opposite direction.

If I end up doing porridge, you’ll know why.

2 Likes

I cannot provide you with legal advice as you are not a client but this seems like a bad idea.

5 Likes

I went and did one of those gait things, tried on about 8 pairs and settled on some mizunos. I wish they’d stop making newer versions all the time, slight changes can make a pair of very expensive shoes useless.

2 Likes

Ugh tell me about it. Brooks redid one of their minimalist shoes (remember back in 2012 when ordinary people were deciding to just run basically barefoot?) and changed the lacing system, hated it.

2 Likes

:joy::rofl: wtf? I swear people jump on the dumbest fads. Next we will be hearing people are taking horse dewormer!

1 Like

Oh yes the minimalist running fad was a real ride. Big companies like Brooks and Nike were suddenly making shoes with a 1mm heel to toe drop because “over cushioned shoes were actually causing injuries and we just had to get back to primitive running.”

It was (mostly) baloney of course. Poor fitting shoes can cause injuries but weekend road warriors like me and Sham probably shouldn’t be knocking around cities barefoot.

3 Likes