Health and Fitness

Gotta burn them mayo, cheese and ham wraps.

5 Likes

Didn’t have one yesterday mate thats only something I eat when I am at work

Can you even say that anymore when you wfh? :joy:

1 Like

I’ve been on a rapid fat loss diet, which works phenomenally well. But because from Monday to Friday I only consume proteins with roughly 20g of fat and 30g of carbs (basically trace amounts from vegetables and some protein sources) I can’t sleep well.

I can lay in bed sometimes for like 3 or 4 hours and no matter how tired I am - I just can’t sleep lol.

Had to resort to taking some nytol last night to get some sleep smh. And even that stopped working after like 2 nights.

Last week of the diet which produces amazing results but insomnia from low carbs is definitely real

2 Likes

Why is it low carbs causes insomnia?

Low carb diets often mean your body doesn’t produce enough insulin which is important for good sleep. I think a lot of people adapt to it eventually but because I have weekend refeed days, it means that I’m never strictly “no carbs” for long enough to make the adaptation.

I’ve dropped all the fat and water weight and I’m shredded to the bone again but it’s unpleasant for sleep that’s for sure lol

2 Likes

Makes sense with the low insulin levels. I have never been shredded to the bone ever but cant imagine it being pleasant at all in the long run unless you are competing ofc then you have to.

1 Like

L Tryptophan (bulk powders) and Gaba help significantly with sleep. As to a lesser degree should zinc and magnessium. Or you get a prescription for something.

1 Like

I’ve managed to source some melatonin so let’s see how that goes too lol. Either way, I need some damn sleep because it’s hell during the week when you’re laying in bed until like 3/4am for no teason

Inline

1 Like

So on my longer runs I start to develop some knee-discomfort/soreness/stiffness towards the end, and when I get back home walking down the stairs to my flat (I.e. bending it to to downwards) is quite uncomfortable/very stiff (especially when it’s cold).

I’ll be in some small degree of discomfort for the rest of the day but I can still walk on it etc. I’m usually fine by the next day especially if I’ve had a warm bath as well.

Looking at a bunch of knee diagrams, I think it might be my LCL? The pain and discomfort definitely seems to be along some form of tendon/ligament rather than muscle/bone/inside a joint. The area I touch that’s uncomfortable seems to be like a rope or string, for lack of a better description.

Do you guys have any suggestions for like knee braces that might be good for this kind of thing? Or stretches?

I’ve attached some pics of my scrawny little chicken leg and knee and highlighted where it is I feel the discomfort.

1 Like

Had exactly the same issue, mate. @stroller and @arsenescoatmaker have given me some excellent advice on this (If you scroll up)

Based on what others have told me

Exercise bike (on high resistance uphill)
Stretches (especially the Mady Morrison one I uploaded here- the runners stretch is a good one)
Do forward facing exercises (no twists, etc. Something that I’ve found has helped)
No more running
Try walking
Apply tiger balm on the knee
If you want to, put on a simple knee support (E.g. tubigrip)

1 Like

Foam roller might help on the hamstrings. Surprsing how many different muscles are linked and impact.

1 Like

My first thought is shoes. Bad/non supportive footwear causes all sorts of problems.

Go to a physio also though. When I had knee problems it was actually my hip and if I keep the stretches up they gave me I don’t get any more issues.

1 Like

Do full squats with good form to strengthen the knees. Even without weights high rep full squats will strengthen the knee joint and all of the surrounding muscularity. An alternative is lunges

1 Like

There are few techniques for sleep, that I was taught back in the day. Granted yours is most likely diet related, but the number one thing you can do is make sure that your environment is dimly light or dark at least one to two hours before you intend on sleeping. Studies have shown that, a lack of light and darkness helps our bodies start producing melatonin at an accelerated rate and helps get you off to sleep a lot quicker.

Second one is stimulation, or therefore lack of, so basically try not be on your phone, watching TV, playing games 1 hour to 30 minutes before sleeping. Reading can actually help by tiring your eyes out.

Not going to be that guy to lecture anyone, as I assume this general knowledge and it’s for all of my bros on the forum, but sleep is one of the most important tools at our disposal, lack of sleep that is sleeping under 8 hours on a consistent basis increases risk of stuff like Cancer and Alzheimer’s by up to 40%, also increases your chances of gaining weight, getting injured during physical activity and all round hampers any kind of recovery. Lack of sleep in men will accelerate testosterone loss, accelerate ageing etc… basically everything they used to say was bad about masturbating as a kid is true about lack of sleep :joy:

This has been known about sleep in the forces for ever and it gets drilled into but it’s finally starting to get public awareness, and more and more studies are showing that sleep is basically nothing short of a super power. Say NO to insomnia and late nights kids and get your 8 hours.

2 Likes

@DavidHillier @shamrockgooner @Stroller @arsenescoatmaker

Awesome, thanks chaps, I’ll look into those suggestions! Appreciate it

4 Likes

I’d be an old woman by now if that were true

1 Like

Would be?

:eyes: :eyes:

3 Likes

Listen young man…

1 Like

Anybody ever been a Gymbox member? They’re offering no joining fee and April/May for free if I sign up for a minimum 3 months.

Not my usual gym atmosphere as I’m used to proper bodybuilding gyms but I live in Highbury now so the Old Street and soon the Finsbury Park gyms will be real close to me.

1 Like