Health and Fitness

As you’re muscle mass increases, you resting metabolic rate will increase. Overall, it’s about a lifestyle change than a diet. The diet is there to help you get started and get your weight down initially, then it’s about balance. When I was at my fittest, I also realised I didn’t want alcohol, which so many find hard to give up. It killed recovery and made me feel way too sluggish. I drank maybe once or twice a month. My body doesn’t process beer well anymore, so it’s wine or whiskey usually (tequila in a margarita when in the US).

1 Like

How tall are you? Had to do a Google conversion to see you’re like ten stone, I’d have to have cancer to weigh that haha.

2 Likes

I’m about 176cm. So I’m not tall but I’m not small either, just very average haha

1 Like

Now Jake will have to do another Google conversion, because we usually measure height in feet and inches, not cm, you cretin. :xhaka:

5 Likes

Haha I wish that had been the case for me but I’m still on the booze as much as ever although almost solely spirits and no beer or cider - I did have a couple beers the other day and I definitely struggled with them though.

@Midfield_Maestro yeah for some reason though the concept is extremely simple I always had such a hard time implementing it. Now that I’ve seen serious results it’s helped a lot with being disciplined and working out even when I don’t feel like it. Results are my biggest motivator. Oh and two scoops of pre-workout hahaha

@JakeyBoy @Phoebica that will be 5’9” for you imperial swine. Maybe 5’8”.

4 Likes

Haha.

I completely accept that metric is more logical and should be used, but when it comes to a height, weight and penis length I couldn’t be more Rudyard Kipling about it.

1 Like

You Britishers spoiler us as well.
I get weird reactions from europeans when I say my height in feet

As. . . . .IF

1 Like

@Phoebica @DavidHillier parkrun reported too be back end of October I’m hearing.

4 Likes

Nice! Be good to have some running company for a change

1 Like

Just gives you a bit of incentive in training. Going to do a bit more volunteering as well when it comes back.

1 Like

“Well done”

“Keep it going”

“Almost there”

2 Likes

Thanks mate.

My old man and I can still take on the traditional Christmas Day parkrun this year :blush:

(I can, however, see another lockdown of sorts imposed this winter, though)

Giving the bar coding a miss though. Had a mare last time I done that.

1 Like

I’d love to do a park run now that I’m running more. Although my new runners seem much harder than my older one. They are still the Kayano’s but I don’t feel the support. So my calves are tightening up more now and my shin muscles aren’t doing well either. Add that to back pain, although running doesn’t seem to have any impact on that - burpees do. Finally got a physio appointment booked for next week.

1 Like

Have you looked at getting some inserts. Some good ones in the shops and online now.
End of October anyway probably been run in by then as well.

I’m gonna have to. But I just don’t know why these version of Kayanos don’t offer the same support as my old ones. They are meant for over-pronation. I bought my old pair after getting the gait analysis done at Asics. These are a ‘special’ version, so maybe that is a difference. I don’t like the laces either. Got them on sale, so paid a 3rd of the normal price. Might see if I can get to a shop where I can try this season’s version as well.

May try inserts firsts as I need to buy some for my inline skates too. I’ve been wanting to get back into skating a bit, but killing my shins even though they fit properly.

1 Like

Had a few issues with my calves a year or so back and found calf sleeves a help. Just need to make sure you get the right size.
No your own body best though. Just a thought. Sometimes I used them after a run and shower. Haven’t run in them for awhile now as like supports don’t wanna get dependent on them. inserts are different though.

1 Like

Allot of things to look at with shoes. Look at the width size aswell as the shoe size. Double check you’ve got the ladies version. And it could just be it doesn’t offer the support. It could also be you’ve done too many miles in them and they’ve broken down. Inserts might help or hinder.

Try to strengthen your core by doing crunches and reverse crunches for your back pain

Are you experiencing tightness in the calf or the actual achilles tendon that connects your calf to your heel? If you are back away from any hills running. Also do calf stretches generally.

If the pain continues I’d recomend reducing your pace significantly if you don’t plan on resting until it’s better. You’ll at least maintain your aerobic capacity.

2 Likes

These are new shoes to replace my old ones. Same brand, style and size. It’s weird. They were a special release version of the Kayano, but that’s the only difference.

It’s my calf. It’s mid and high tightness. I’ve had a pretty bad calf strain about 5 years ago now in the one that tightens the most. I work hard on mobility and have been to an osteo for it in the past. So I go back to the stretches I used then and it does help. I’m reduced my pace and mileage, running a max of 5k only 2-3 days a week right now. I’ve added yoga and Pilates back into my routine. My core is quite strong, that’s what I don’t understand. I’m all about full body, functional workouts. Lots of different types of pushups, ab work, plank work.

Hoping my physio appointment will shine some light and offer a better routine for s stretch and mobility workout.

I miss swimming. My local pool still isn’t open and I’m still not sure I’d go if it were.