Health and Fitness

I am too old to kill myself on a bycicle lol. Maybe if I was 10 years younger I’d consider going break-less. Until I learn how to skid I am sticking with my front break haha.

If you are stupid enough to squeeze the full-break at high speed it most definitely will.

Most emergency cases happen at high speed.

Doesn’t mean you have to squeeze the full-break.

Not if you put all your weight at the back by leaning back when you press the brake. But also go soft at the beginning as well like Glads said.

Still quite a risky position of brakes for such a light vehicle.
My touring bike which is 190kg wobblesaround if I hit the front brakes at mediocre speed. Seen a light motorbike do a 360 front spin because he hit only the front brakes in panic and he was at mere 40kmph.

I haven’t noticed a great deal of difference with the belt. The cycling I do with it is low intensity commuting though so I would say thats pretty much as expected. It is quiter though.

Love the look of that bike. Very clean :slight_smile:

1 Like

People give you lots of advice on marathon training. For me everyones different. Id just say if you follow a plan dont be afraid to tweak it that fits your circumstances.
Basically your long runs are the key ones. If you have to miss a couple of 5 or 6 milers dont sweat it. Ive pushed to hard in the past when Really the best rule of thumb is listen to your body. Rest days are really important too. Sermon over mate.

1 Like

How’s training for the marathon going @shamrockgooner ? Still going strong I hope! :kos2:

Yep all going to plan. Did a half on Paddy’s day in 1:52:40 and ran 25km without much bother last weekend. Still 6+ months out though.

7 Likes

Is there any good sports to get into to that any of you play? As a teen I used to play tennis and I was very good. I still keep in good shape but I’ve been lazy too, the only sport I do these days is with my fingers :henry2:

1 Like

You play thumb wrestling with yourself? Weirdo

Competitive eating?

1 Like

Rock, Paper, Scissors?

I’ve taken up mountain biking in the last year or so, very fun and very expensive. Managed to bag a bargain on ebay and got a second hand bike from some chap that was using it to commute to work but didn’t like it so was practically brand new. In that time I’ve probably spent the same again in little upgrades and safety gear.

Quute lucky aswell as there are plenty of trails fairly local.

Came off the fucking thing in November though and done ligaments in my shoulder, gained a haematoma on my bicep, lost my big toenail and damaged my big toe. All good though and have been back at it since February.

@Trion Sort of, if you get a nail stuck in there it’s a wrestle getting it out :stuck_out_tongue:

@BergkampsLoveChild Yeah mountain biking sounds fun but really physically demanding, not great for someone with a low pain threshold :joy:

Ughh…I could do without that imagination.

1 Like

I got into hockey for awhile, but never bothered to find a new club after I moved. Then I did some Brazilian jiujitsu, basketball and CrossFit.

I played so many sports growing up. If you’re athletic, you’ll be able to pick up most sports enough to enjoy playing at some level. Although out hockey team decided to sign up for 5-a-side football and got our asses beat every match but one (we had a couple of Chelsea Ladies players for that one). But it was fun and helped up stay fit in our off-season.

Right now it’s just the gym. A toddler and no family makes it difficult to train in the evening for team sports.

1 Like

Just got an exciting email. I get to participate in a training day at the Arsenal Training ground. I wonder how many others attending aren’t footballers. Love watching it, but it’s not in the top half of the list of sports I’m good at- mainly because I haven’t played much. Completely forgot I even entered the competition. And I wonder how many will be in their 30s like me.

7 Likes

After four months off I’ve started to work out again. Being at it for two weeks now and their have been some minor differences in physique. What I struggle with though is lower back pain when doing the squads (with barbell), bench press and the barbell row. Anybody got any tips for that? And good core exercises for strengthening my core?