Health and Fitness

Yeha I recall this! On the old forum

1 Like

Seeing as it looks like there’s enough interest in the matter, I’ve moved the posts out of randomly nothing, and created a dedicated health and fitness thread :slight_smile: Enjoy!

3 Likes

Solid move James my man, do you train?

Now that we have a thread for this I can start boring the shit out of even more people by talking about how I’ve entered next year’s Dublin marathon. Up to half marathon distance so far. It’s properly addictive running. Something I think I’ll keep up for years to come.

3 Likes

If you mean pulling weights, benchpresses and all that stuff, then the answer is no :sweat_smile: I’ve never been a muscle mass person. I’ve always been rather flightly. When I do workout, I’m more of a cardio person. But I have always tried to keep reasonably fit. I don’t do anywhere near as much sporting wise as I did in my younger days, but the one thing I still do regularly is cycling.

This time of year I just do short rides as the lack of daylight and coldness leaves me not wanting to bother too much to go far but during Spring/Summer, I love to travel far and get really solid distances :slight_smile: I know @shamrockgooner probably rocks up even more than me, but I maintain a decent number and try to push myself to set good times as well.

Good luck with the marathon Sham!

1 Like

Good luck with this. Ive decided to take my distances right down now due to a lot of injuries over 30 odd years.
Best thing ive ever done tbh. Its a marmite game but if you love it the rewards are huge on a personal level.

1 Like

I know how you feel, not with the running but now I’ve started I don’t think I’ll ever not want to lift weights. Or ice skate tbh, I’ve never been one for cardio, definitely need to improve there but so much respect for distance runners, amateur or obviously world class athletes such as yourself.

1 Like

@Mysty I only clocked up about 2,500km on the bike this year, mainly commuting. Got a new belt drive hub gear bike for that. Perfect for the city riding.

@Stroller I hear ya man. The niggles are regular enough so far so it’s already in my mind as to what kind of training I want to be doing if a manage to get through the big one. And yea on a personal level being able to run for 5k was something I’d only done a handful of times prior to this year so to be able to do a half which meant running for 2+ hours…fuck that felt good! :slight_smile:

@Gio some are born great, some only get there in their mid 30s after years of massive obesity.

1 Like

I love how you defined 2,500km as only :smiley: I’m not sure what my average per year is, but mine is probably shorter than that. Then again, I do all my cycling using a ‘hybrid’ bike effectively. Never owned a proper road bike. Would probably make things a lot easier and quicker lol, but just never sure if I’d be comfortable on one or not. Nonetheless, it is always good fun when I’m able to either keep up or pass someone who’s on a road bike compared to my old bike haha.

3 Likes

After 2 years of extensive traveling which has deteriorated my health, I have switched my job and now hopefully I can dedicate more time to improving my fitness.

I am not into muscles rather I would prefer to increase my efficiency, stamina and posture.
What are your thoughts on Calisthenics, Running, CrossFit etc?

I think crossfit is only for people like Chris Froming who can pretty much dedicate their lives to it. I mean it would all depend on the instructor really but pushing limits is core to it. I don’t think that’s something the average person should be doing with their body very regularly.

1 Like

True. I am only going to pick out some necessary components from them and not dwell myself into perfecting it.

Interesting. I was contemplating getting a belt for my bike, how does it compare to having a chain in your experience?

I got myself into the single speed fixed gear hipster craze this summer and bought myself a fixie. I love it, I like really working out my legs while cycling which is one of the reasons I hate gears on a bike. Admittedly though I might get a 2-speed automatic hub at some point because uphill terrain is really challenging on a single speed. This is my baby

Quit the gym 6 months ago. Right now I focus on swimming and cycling for exercise, plus jogging in the warmer months. I used to be a sprinter (unusually fast for my size), never had the stamina for marathons. Nowadays due to injuries and weight I mostly only jog.

4 Likes

I pretty much stick to Cardio, run/ walk between 18-20km most days all up. Half of that though is my job and the other half will be the walk / run I do in my own time.

Been doing weights for a year now, but I think it’s not really my thing. In the new year I’m going (back) to kickboxing and swimming. Finding a proper gym is a bit difficult though.

Tell me about it. I just enlisted in one after a disproportionate amount of research

How is it going uphill, and even more importantly downhill without the brakes?

Well uphill is a real tough exercise. Depending on the slope, you might end up having to get off the bike and push it if the hill goes on for too long.

I have a front break. Don’t have the skill to drive it completely break-less. Generally you slow down using you leg strength which is also a great leg exercise (not too good for your knees though) but it’s not enough for emergency breaks when you need the front break at least or you need to learn how to skid. If you know how to skid you can go downhill and I imagine it will be quite fun, on my to do list for the summer :slight_smile:

1 Like

fair, can understand why some would choose to have a front brake on their fixie lol.

Wouldn’t front break lift your bike up from behind?