Health and Fitness

Mad respect man. Getting in this shape kind of shape over a 2-3 year period is a huge achievement and maintaining must be even tougher.

I know I am about 10kgs overweight and can lose it fairly easily, but the moment I have a little lapse, I tend to put it back on with the same ease. Setting weight and muscle targets while managing T1D is tough, but can certainly learn a thing or two from you.

More power to you.

1 Like

@shamrockgooner @Gladiator

Do you guys do any particular exercises to improve your cycling, especially uphill?

Not cheating by getting an e-bike is the main one. :wenger:

In short though personally the answer is no, I seem to have some natural ability on the climbs but no doubt the main factor in my improvement is that I went from 100+kg to hovering just above 70 currently.

3 Likes

:see_no_evil:
I had to when i realized how shit i was during incline.
I really wanna improve in this regards. Was embarassing how much i struggled uphill.

1 Like

@Electrifying is also a fellow cyclist.

Yeah, losing weight haha. Oh, just spotted Sham already said that.

I ride a fixie mate, if I tried to do some serious uphill distance on that I’d die.

Woah, that’s impressive. I went from 112kg to 94 currently but I really want to go under 90, especially if I’m to do the triathlon next fall. How long did it take you to drop so much weight.

3 Likes

Get a lighter bike with skinnier tyres if you can. Inflate them properly, or even more. High tyre pressure for me makes me glide up hills like a boss.

Stand up on the bike and lean side to side as you pedal.

But as you cycle more and more, you’ll get more experienced, fitter anyways so it will get easier.

Here is a great video bud.

Sorry mate, wrong vid.

4 Likes

Man I used to cycle up this huge hill all the time as a child, when I had boundless energy. It’s one of the highest points in Yorkshire and we’d all fly up it as kids. Now I struggle and mad respect to you all for being good at this shit!

1 Like

There goes your Deliveroo application then.

Interesting perspective

“Unhealthfully”

7 Likes

Can’t wait for next week to go in and see new faces everywhere

1 Like

You don’t mean faces really do you.:yum:

4 Likes

Signed up to a bodybuilding competition in June and I’ve got a coach for the competition. He’s got me in growth mode at the moment and that means my calories are up to about 2600-2700 a day at the moment.

Finally means I can get some heavy weights done so managed to smash 3 plates (140kg) on the bench for an easy (that’s a lie. It wasn’t easy) 10.5 reps today. Feels good to be able to push some heavy weights again and not feel hungry/shit all the time like when I’m prepping.

Weights up to about 78kg at the moment to so I’ve reached the uncomfortable stage where I start breathing a little heavier than usual lol

10 Likes

Good luck mate. Sure you’ll smash it!

What is your usual calorie intake on a general day to day out of interest?

1 Like

Thanks bro. I know I’ve got the right structure to do reasonably well in competition so it’s just about building and adding some more quality muscle on the frame.

It varies. When I’m shredded (I’ve been sub 10% body fat before) I’m usually on around anything from 1700-2000 calories with a lot of cardio as well.

When I’m a healthy body fat (around 12-15%) I’m sitting at around 2400 calories I reckon.

It all depends on what I’m trying to achieve I guess.

3 Likes

Side note, I was inspired to do this in part by @shamrockgooner. I have a deep passion for bodybuilding. I love it, I spend an unhealthy amount of time watching and reading. I’ve always wanted to challenge myself and I know that 16 weeks of intense dieting (after an 8 week short off season) will be an insane mental battle.

But reading through Shammy’s marathon and weight loss exploits just gave me that extra push I needed.

8 Likes

I was curious what it was you had decided to do on foot of that thread but I didn’t want to ask in case it applied any pressure.

The effort in takes to be in the shape you were in anyway is phenomenal and to put in even more effort is incredible. More power to you sir and the very best of luck! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Jesus man that’s amazing! It’s been forever since I even got 110 up! I’ve focussed mostly on my squatting really of late and that’s up to 120 for good reps so Yeah, then you post this! Brilliant stuff though my man!

2 Likes

This was my shape as of December 2019. The no haircut was intentional hah.

So hopefully in June 2020 I can check back in and look even better than this when I get on the stage.

I think I just need to be prepared to step out of my comfort zone a lot more and this is one of the ways I intend to do that. I don’t have any aspirations of being a professional bodybuilder but I’d love to step on stage a few time’s.

Will check in at some point closer to prep and let you guys know how it’s going but the amount of low carb days I’m due to have in the coming months (after this 7 weeks of bulking) I’m going to be more miserable than usual lol

15 Likes