Greatest Strikers Since 1992

In no order:

Ronaldo, Batistuta, Shevchenko, Henry, Romario, Falcao, Aguero, Suarez, Lewandowski, Vieri, Shearer, RVN, Eto’o, Ibrahimovic and I’ll begrudgingly go with Kane for the 15th spot.

1 Like

Shearer sacrificed achievements to play for his hometown club, which is admirable in a way as I’m sure Sir Alex would’ve loved to get his mitts on him at the time.

Agree on Les. Not having him near the list but he was fun to watch back in his day.

1 Like

The one factor you have to give RVN though is him being prolific in the CL

Batistuta’s best return of 26 goals in 32 games in 94/95 is at least as good as any of Kane’s returns when you consider how good the defenses were in 90s Serie A. Peak Ronaldo only managed 25 in 32 games. You should also remember Serie A only had a 34 game season

2 Likes

Batigol is definitely in the elite category. His international record speaks for itself and he surely has one of the best goals per game ratio in that sense. Could score absolutely any kind of goal too. Wonderful player who was also extremely charismatic - probably why he stands out a lot for me. Great memories of watching Football Italia highlights in the 90s with him banging in goals every week

1 Like

There is no credibility to a list that doesn’t include Gabriel Batistuta lol.

1 Like

Another underachiever in the grand scheme of things. Could’ve won so much had he been at one of the main challengers.

Oit, don’t diss the purple men! Fiorentina are a great club. I admire a great player who sticks with a team when they go down. Anyway, he got a Serie A title eventually.

Nor one that doesn’t include RvP, Torres, and Benzema my friend!

RvP at his peak was twice the player Batistuta was.

You guys do make a good case for him, though, particularly @arsenescoatmaker

A big issue I have here is my first girlfriend as a boy was Argentine and I can still hear her parents saying Batistuta in their goddamn Argentine accents

Wait, so your first girlfriend was a boy who was Argentinian?

No judgement, we’re all friends here. (Apart from Jakey and I)

7 Likes

:crazy_face: :sweat_smile: :rofl: :joy: :crazy_face: :cowboy_hat_face: :cowboy_hat_face: :cowboy_hat_face: :cowboy_hat_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :clown_face: :clown_face: :bellcry: :raul: :unai: :wenger:

1 Like

Did she also change nationalities when she changed genders?

4 Likes

Oh bollocks, Dave got there first. Ffs

1 Like

Looking at these names one particular ‘what-if’ player comes to mind: Adriano. He was on his way to become the best striker during 2005 - 2015. Anyone other names?

2 Likes

Wait, you had more boy-girlfriends? :laca2: :pepe1:

Vieri in SRCJJ’s list is a good shout, had forgotten largely about him. Adriano is the ultimate what-ifer but he never really reached his theoretical peak.

I’m sure there’s someone out there who’d like to make a case for Luca Toni or Gilardino but I’m not that man.

1 Like

Adriano, Saviola (maybe - strikes me as being unfulfilled potential based on the extreme hype at the time), Pato

2 Likes

Definitely fair to put Saviola as unfulfilled potential, his transfer fee was massive at his age and that time as I recall, definitely did not live up to expectations.

2 Likes

That’s a pretty solid as f*ck list… could quibble here or there and obv there is some inherent assumption of who is NOT a striker, which I tend to agree with.

A few could move up or down but atm struggling to think of players I’d push onto the list and take someone off.

Might seem ridiculous too say this but I’d say Anelka had the ability to have been in the very highest category of strikers if he had better guidance.
Vintage Wenger could of turned him world class within two more sessions if he’d stayed.

3 Likes