Geek talk (Science/Space/Tech etc)

You don’t think so?

It was kind of a shit post by me, I like the excitement. I guess I can’t tell what’s interesting to others in this field sometimes :slight_smile: or to what degree to be more specific. I also look forward to seeing what they put together would’ve been a better post by me.

I just tend to find space really fascinating

Has it happened yet?

The stream is now live.
Don’t know when they will reveal it though

so yeah what you see here is the gravitational bending making the light look like it bends around the hole and so it contours it to some degree (this is the SMBH in M87 btw, not Sag A* in our galaxy).

They said right now they hope to get the Sag A* pics “very soon” whatever that means :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Not to be a normie twat lol, but that does look a lot like the Interstellar depiction of a black hole, no?

Also

These scientists literally look like they haven’t been out of the laboratory for 30 years and are still wearing their 90s clothes they entered in.

2 Likes

Yes, they just confirmed that the theory of relativity and the visual prediction of the black hole is very close.

2 Likes

My guy Albert :wenger2:

#e=mc2

1 Like

Yeah sure, why not, I mean it’s probably no coincidence they chose that colour palette there :smiley: but yeah, the BH stuff in interstellar was kind of worked out with the help of a guy named Kip Thorne, who is one of the recent nobel prize winners in the field (for catching the gravitational waves a couple of years ago), so the interstellar BH stuff isn’t bad at all, and to a large degree not fiction at all.

As far as the details: the colours are arbitrary, the fuzziness with the edges makes it a bit weird, the asymmetry (lighter at the bottom) and whatnot and the fact that it appears to be confirmed to be rotating (called Kerr) etc. is probably the details that could differ from the thing in the film (I don’t remember exactly the details in interstellar).

1 Like

Yeah I remember them getting Prof Thorne in to help with the film.

1 Like

that’s Prof. Thorne to you, private.

And btw I absolutely love Brian Cox, I think he is an outstanding science communicator, the best since Sagan imo.

1 Like

:santi:

1 Like

Quick fact - That image is recent but what you see happened 55million years ago.

Correction - 55million lightyears, even more mind boggling.

This is my favourite thing about stars.
That ray of light you see in night sky was created thousands of years ago. It travelled across the space unimpeded and landed into your eyes. :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

To put that into perspective 55 million light years is 5.20340176e+20 kilometers.

1 Like

Sun is 149.6 million kilometres away from earth.

Even Uber pool won’t be cheap.

1 Like

520,340,176,000,000,000,000 km right?

520 quintillion, 340 quadrillion, 176 trillion km.

The sheer distance is just unbelievable

1 Like

no need for the correction, the first part was right. it happened 55mn yrs ago. M87 is 55mn ly away. light travel at the speed of light. so something emitting light 55mn ly away will have the light arrive here 55mn yrs later. light years is units for distance.

4 Likes

Yeah I just plugged it into an online converter and got the same number. I rely on computers to figure out scientific notation.

1 Like