Geek talk (Science/Space/Tech etc)

Thank fuck him to young to have heard that nonsense

so you offered an anatomy lesson, explain this to me:

How come if I put my hand in an armwrestling position, elbow on the table, and fingers all pointing straight up like Iā€™m about to do a chop move I have no problem closing my hand, as in curling the fingers up tips touching the inside of the palm, but if I bend it at the wrist so that the hand points 90 deg. to the side (so that the palm is facing down the table) I cannot close my hand. I canā€™t get my fingers curled up enough to touch the inside of my palm. I can just about touch it with the tip of my pinky if I relax the rest of the fingers but it gets harder finger by finger and the index finger is probably a centimeter away from reaching all the way in. Even if I try to force them in with my other hand there is significant resistance in closing it/curling the fingers up.

It is the same on both hands, has always been like that. My friend tried, he has no problem whatsoever. I feel significantly stronger closing my hands if I lean them backwards a bit (opposite of what I just described) as well. As if I am the strongest if my hand is leaned back about 20deg or so. Is there such a thing as having too short tendons or something?

I think you have Aids

4 Likes

Itā€™s all in your head I reckon.

2 Likes

Not sure, I just tried it and could do it :arteta:

I have no clue, maybe your forearm muscles and their tendons are tight or something?

I liked the other two answers better tbh.

edit: yeah possibly but itā€™s been like this all my life and I never thought to ask anyone except just now lol

1 Like

On a serious note, the muscles on back of your hand have shortened and make it difficult to extend because if which your fingers canā€™t curl in the position you mentioned (that position already extends your muscles but bending your fingers even more so).
Much like how persistently wearing heels (devilā€™s work) can shortened Achilles and make it difficult to go flats again.

You should start doing some flexibility routine with your hands.

yeah Iā€™m stuck on the topic doing some experiments right now, if I start in that armwrestling position and close my fist there instead and then see how far down I can get it I can get maybe 30deg or so down then it just stops. So I tried pushing down on it to see where the stretch comes and it comes at the back of the hand. I think it is specifically the long finger and the index finger tendons at the back of the hand between the knuckles and the top of the wrist, the pinky and ring finger seems to have less of a problem getting curled up in there lol

I should maybe start streching it in that direction for a few months and see if it makes a difference.

1 Like

220px-Wrist_extensor_compartments_(numbered)

So the extensors are located on the back of the forearm which is connected to dorsum of your fingers.
Their primary motive is to straighten out the fingers.

See if you feel the pull on these muscles.

doesnā€™t really pull on any muscles that I can tell, just a decent amount of pain at the back of the hand where the index+ long finger tendon connect between the wrist and the first set of knuckles. about where that big horizontal line is in your picture.

Are you used to writing long hours?

This could honestly be a rumour mill conversation right here :grin:

thing is I think Iā€™ve been like this all my life, I remember being a kid and not having that mobility lol I think I have short tendons. I donā€™t know.

Need to stretch my brudda.

I wonder if Dembele could even touch his toes, doing his hammyā€™s like that (he deffo could lol but still)

Otherwise, apart from your likely AIDS, as @Trion points out, nothing major to worry about as far as it sounds.

1 Like
1 Like

They think itā€™s water. Maybe itā€™s actually some mad alien shit that our puny human minds canā€™t comprehend. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do super telescopes do things other than just magnify what they are looking at?

I guess in a nutshell, no haha

Maybe our universe grows at a faster rate than our ability to develop stronger and more sophisticated telescopes and this is a whole waste of everything :crazy_face:

EDIT: I think VAR should adapt this at worst case!