Gabriel Martinelli (11)

He was so goddamn good today. The fact Arteta is so reluctant to use him speaks volumes of how insecure Arteta is as a coach.

3 Likes

Tbf to Arteta, Martinelli has improved very much and it looks like itā€™s down to work in training.
His dribbling is smarter and his passing is more calculated.
He now knows how to preserve energy better. Martinelli a month or two ago would be running like a mad man early on and be spent by the 60th minute. He also used to go into dangerous challenges that werenā€™t necessary.

3 Likes

Thereā€™s no way of telling if this is true or not.

He was a breath of fresh air. He was very direct, always looking to get in behind and not just make another pass. Showed good pace and put in some dangerous crosses with his left foot. All in all, a great performance.

Having said that, as good as Martinelli was yesterday, itā€™s still way too early to say how good he will be for us if and when he starts playing regularly. And I know the comparisons with Ronaldo are mostly not serious but still, we have to keep a check on our expectations. All I hope for now is he stays injury free and that Mikel has the sense to play him more often.

3 Likes

Speak for yourself. Iā€™m shoveling coal into the engine of the Balon dā€™Or Hype Train baby! LFG!

Looks more threatening on the left lately

2 Likes

People clamour for this lad but the reality is were not seeing much.
Kids young and has time but maybe we should check our expectations a bit for now.

1 Like

Yeah Iā€™m wondering if he is just going to be better as a wide player than a CF because heā€™s really good at driving with the ball but seems pretty ineffective when heā€™s just a lone number 9 in the middle.

1 Like

Heā€™s still only very young strolls but I can see where youā€™re coming from.

1 Like

He is and coming off a bad injury. No big fan of Arteta but the grief heā€™s had for not playing him more is a bit unjustified.
Heā€™s clearly struggling a bit and couldnā€™t of played too much.
Hasnā€™t been anything special when given opportunities. Hopefully gets better next season.

3 Likes

Missing half the preseason too.

Better he spends a summer around good players :slight_smile:

1 Like

Any chance weā€™ll sell him this summer to generate funds?

No.

More potential than the 15 million youā€™d get. Ten million more and I would though.

Definitely coming back injured. Pencil him in for a November debut.

Yeah 15 million right there for the asking. Do it.

Huh? Are you proposing we sell him for 15m? Seems a bit on the low side :grin:

Im not sold on him mate. Much better upgrades out there and think we should look to do it. 15 with add ons would do me.
Hes a Duracell bunny footballer. Impact from the bench hitter.