Gabriel Martinelli (11)

I agree although if we sign someone like Jesus who can actually move (unlike Laka) and has an all around game (unlike Auba or Nketiah) then I could see us transitioning toward a more fluid front three that would see Martinelli going into the middle more often.

5 Likes

Yeah I can see that somewhat.

We’ll see how it looks next season, I rate Martinelli but it’s hard to see where his development track will go

1 Like

He’s a forward who defends from front to back.

If Arteta could shoot the biggest load, this is what he’s flogging one off to.

You think? I’m sort of caught between two minds with it. Obviously he loves the player and never shuts up about in press conferences and interviews but I’m not really sure he suits the style of football Arteta wants to play. He can be exceptional or a complete headless chicken.

Whereas if Arteta wants to emulate the style he’s witnessed at City with Pep then I feel like ESR is the more obvious candidate to sink the minutes into.

1 Like

whynothaveboth.gif

I think what is certain about both ESR and Gabi, is that they both are in their ‘infancy’ of developing into whatever the final evolution is. We get a glance of what they could become but as yet, they aren’t defined to a position/role in this team, as has been debated on where either of them can play.

Regardless of that fact, I think they are both versatile forwards that have two individual styles of play. I agree with your thoughts on ESR and directly linking him from a Pep-blueprint of a player he wants up front. I also think Marti can be as big an influence, he might just take a little longer to show that.

It’s easy to compare the two and the season’s they have had so far too. Can ESR replicate his return from this season into the next? Will Gabriel score more next season, than he has this season. Both are possible.

4 Likes

Good points man, I do agree. I sometimes find myself being a little hard on Martinelli because I’m much more of a fan of ESR’s style of play and think where we are at the moment we desperately need his goals. I know, I know xg, but until ESR stops scoring for a significant period I’m still going to consider the young man a killer in front of nets.

Martinelli as you mentioned brings something different to the table, something a lot of clubs would consider a commodity, something I suppose we would too if we had a better striker getting on the end of his wide efforts. He still has a ways to go though and I suppose at the very least next season we will have a lot more football to play, so it could be a very significant year for the development of both these players.

3 Likes

If Arteta wants to emulate Pep, then he should see what Pep did with Pedro.
While Pedro was no slouch in the technical department, he was the player who would make off the ball runs for players with far superior passing range; and it helps the balance.

Spanish Theo Walcott

1 Like

Next season I want to see him come of age and deliver 20 or close to it G/A contributions.

1 Like

To be fair wasn’t Martinelli written off completely by 80 percent of the forum after the first game of the season? :joy: Let’s analysis the last couple games. And poor couple of months for Martinelli . Came off the bench against Palace in the second half which was, a bad game for the whole team. Martinelli created a couple decent chances to against Brighton . A Combination of great goalkeeping, poor finishing, and a dodgy VAR call (Martinelli offside vs Brighton) did for us. Should have had an assist Vs Southampton. Southampton was his worse game in my opinion .But Played on the RW/right side of the attack against Southampton for some odd reason. .Chelsea and United comes off the bench. Might even have a goal in the Chelsea game if Cedric puts him though …when it was 3-2. We win the game anyways with a Saka Pen to Make it 4-2 . Small margins . But when you are on a goal drought as well. Getting a goal wrongly ruled out by VAR against Brighton does not help. I will admit his passing and when he holds on too the ball for too long does piss me off most times though :laughing: :joy:.

I rate martinelli highly but watching Vini and Rodrygo perform at the highest level is something else. These are blue chip Brazilian talents who produce, Gabi seems second and third rate in comparison.

5 Likes

I assume you haven’t seen Rodrygo and Vini in the past?

1 Like

Took a while for them to come good didn’t it?

Feel like Vini has been around for ages come to think of it.

2 Likes

I’ve seen more of Vini, there was a time people were calling him the Brazilian feo

Had no reference on Rodrygo tbh, thought he would go the way of Reinier if anything. Always hard to tell with SA talent

1 Like

Put Martinelli in Real Madrid, he’ll deliver too

1 Like

Well both of them cost 45m each at 18 years old so it’s sort of to be expected :joy:

1 Like

Yep. Simple as that.

I rate Martinelli higher than Rodrygo for sure.
Vini is a generational talent but last couple of season he made many of us think he was all show but no end product.
He changed that at the start of the season but recently he’s been a bit of a clown in his final actions again.

I’m honestly glad we have Gabi around. Tons of potential and hungry to improve. I’m sure Arteta and his team love to have someone like him with talent and drive.

1 Like

I would hate to watch Vinicius on a regular basis.
Thanks but no thanks

I dont know about that, ceballos still looks average in a Madrid shirt. His level isn’t elevated at all imo

I think Vini would be more productive at Arsenal on the LW compared to Gabi tbh