Gabriel Martinelli (11)

Well I’m not, which is why I specifically said PL goals. Was more just pointing out that despite a down period for Martinelli and the contrasting media wank fest over Rashford, there’s only 3 goals difference between them in the PL.

I dont care about Rashford beating up on scrub teams in the League Cup and EL

4 Likes

As said…
I think he has the potential to be a 20+ league goals winger. Mane/Salah esque.

1 Like

They’ve been in the same competitions but yes you’re correct, it certainly doesn’t look as impressive when you are blindly willing to ignore more than half of Rashford’s entire goals to suit some biased narrative.

Rashford’s season has been much more impressive but that’s not too say Martinelli’s return hasn’t been good too.

Oh fuck up, stop being a prick, it’s not a biased narrative, I’m just highlighting something positive about one of our players, at a time when he’d been a bit maligned.

1 Like

Tbf, Martinelli had a much better start of the season(August-November).

Not that Rashford was poor but Martinelli was in fantastic form himself. Rashford has truly stepped up since the World Cup though. Probably the most in-form forward the world at the minute.

Haha, I simply think Rashford’s had an outstanding season and deserves his praise. If any of our players were approaching 30 goals we’d probably expect praise too.

But yes I’d much rather have Saka and Martinelli picking up an EPL medal over the individual plaudits Rashford is recieving, or a boring league cup.

1 Like

Martinelli’s overall play was a million times better then, he really looked a different player with Jesus. Though his goal return is very good in the league for his age so I hope we see another level from him once Jesus is back fit.

In fact I actually think Trossard brings it out of him more than Nketiah has.

For the record I’m not trying to be too hard on Martinelli here I just think Rashford and Saka have been the best wingers in the league this season by quite a distance. Mitoma has been a quality watch too

Perhaps, I think the true game changer was that bench he sat against Villa. That definitely sent a message to him. He’s been more clinical since then.

I don’t think he’s hit his pre-WC level yet but these goals he’s scored will hopefully help him find that. Will be massive in the run-in and with Jesus coming back.

3 Likes

His overall play has been a little lacking for me lately but as long he keeps scoring it’s all good

6 Likes

Yeah for sure if it’s a straight pick between the two for the left hand side spot in our team, I’m taking Rashford pretty easily even though he is 4 years older. I still think there’s some limitations to Rashford’s game but his post WC run is downright ridiculous.

Interested to see if he keeps it up, always think his major flaw is he struggles aganst deeper defenses where he can’t run in behind and he doesnt seem to be a great dribbler in tighter spaces.

Martinelli hasn’t been playing that well of late. Who cares though when he’s scored 4 in 3 including hnd winner vs Leicester?

I wouldn’t say he’s playing as CF, it’s just very interchangeable with Trossard. He does look a lot better playing with a front 3 that’s more flexible as opposed to Eddie in the side.

2 Likes

New Freddie?

This is going to sound so disespectful to a club great, but I think Martinelli has a higher ceiling than Freddie.

He’s probably our best finisher. We need to get him in those positions more. He’s ice cold.

2 Likes

Trossard enabling this, nice tactical switch from Mikel to get him in for Nketiah when the side was starting to look a bit impotent in attack (Martinelli especially)

9 Likes

Agreed, Trossard really seems to be enhancing Martinelli’s game again.

I love that we have depth up front so that we can make these tweaks.

5 Likes

After the first goal the team started to relax and play. That second half display was a joy to watch and the team looked really fresh. All of out attacking players contributed with goals or assists but it was great to see Martinelli back on form. He is super cool and composed in front of goal when he is in this type of form. Loved his second goal. Benching Eddie and the interchange between Trosssard and Martinelli worked really well last night.

5 Likes

I was thinking more like the new Thierry

:arteta4:

His coolness infront of goal is impressive. When he first broke through, he seemed to snatch at chances a little. I’m very confident with him in on goal in 2023.