Formula One

Definetly a penalty for Hamilton. However people have been backing off and leaving Max more than half a track to do his business for a while now, Lewis in particuly has yielded to him in a wheel to wheel racing a couple times because everyone knows Max wont budge. Think this puts doubt in Max’s head down the line when they meet next time.

Am just glad Ferrari and Leclerc made it to the podium. Fantastic drive by Charles. A bit disappointed with Sainz.

Yes I was surprised by their pace today, but he had a really strong race and just didn’t have enough to keep Lewis behind him. Lewis was really hunting him down in the end and was only going to end up with him winning the race.

Think that Norris had another really strong drive today. He is fast becoming the driver of the season for me with his consistent performances. It would be great to see the McLaren really competitive in the next few seasons and allow Norris to challenge for the top as well.

Yeah, Norris has been good. Seems to get the better of Ricciardo on most race weekends.

Lewis is a germ.

It is not a racing incident; he pulled the same move to LeClerc to take the lead; LeClerc couldn’t take the risk.

He did the exact same thing to Albon in Austria last year.

And he did to Albon earlier in Brazil…

Then when it happens to him with Rosberg, he says “I was on the outside, not my fault.”

Fuck that guy; don’t care if he is a Gooner or not.

2 Likes

Yeah he did the same to LeClerc but LeClerc clearly had the slower car so he couldn’t do much to defend.

With Max, IMO, Lewis carried too much speed into the corner, and basically put his car in a place Max wasn’t expecting. Given Lewis was on the inside, he should have taken the racing line but he missed the apex by quite a bit. Max left him enough room to make the corner, and then some, but he overcooked the corner and expected Max to accommodate that.

Having said, my wife and I had a big debate on whose fault it was and she thinks it was Max’s, for turning into Lewis. Am sure there are many who think it was just a racing incident.

Anyway, the Lewis fans online seem to think this was Lewis teaching Max a lesson on how he cannot get away with his “bullying tactics”.

Why does Max cut directly across when he presumably knows Lewis is there? He should have taken a wider line. He was too aggressive turning in. Sure Lewis could have backed off more a bit but let’s not act like Max didn’t contribute to the collision either. Most commentators agreed it was a racing incident.

Same thing happened with Charles but he left Lewis more room and therefore there was no collision, seems Max still doesn’t get in Championship racing you have to play the long game. He could have yielded and still won the race.

This was coming for Max as he always expects others to move for him despite driving wheel to wheel.

1 Like

Which commentators? It’s an undeniably contentious event, and that statement that “most commentators agreed it was a racing incident” is just a lie to help substantiate your point. In the end, the FIA awarded a penalty (although weak) which confirms that it wasn’t.

Why should the person in the lead, on the first lap, concede on the most dangerous corner?
If you’re behind, you’re responsible in most circumstances, particularly with a corner like that.

No, not a lie at all. Hill and Button both said it was ultimately a racing incident as did Chandhok and Jolyon Palmer. Chandhok in particular did some analysis showing Max turned in deliberately changing the line he had been taking which was probably a reaction to Hamilton being there.

You clearly don’t like Hamilton so not exactly objective are you?

1 Like

I agree, he usually is never the one to yield. However, in this instance, I think he doesn’t expect Lewis to have missed the racing line and be where he ended up being.

This is just my guess but it’s possible Lewis was in Max’s blindspot as he was so close to Max. Everyone thinks Max turned in to try and cut off Lewis but why would he do that if he could see Lewis there when he knows that move could end his race. He is the one with everything to lose in that situation. It wasn’t as if Lewis was leading the championship and Max was desperate to catch him. And Max had the faster car as the Sprint proved. Max is aggressive but I don’t think he is stupid enough to do something like that unless he doesn’t see Lewis there.

To completely disarm your hyperbolic point that all commentators believed it was racing-incident; I present to you David Coulthard and Mark Webber.

DC: “He has picked up the slipstream, there’s enough space there, Max has opened it, he has given him space but then the speed they’re both carrying into the corner, that has to be Hamilton…He has got to take responsibility for that because Max left him the space.”

MW: “I don’t think he will be proud of that move, he won’t be happy with it. He would have liked to have had that opportunity and that moment again to pull out of that move because it was Max’s corner right at the last minute.”

Also, as a note, Damon Hill is renowned to defend all actions of Lewis Hamilton. Presenting, Exhibit A.

Additionally, it is shown (by my examples) that Hamilton has repeatedly done this exact same thing. It is the defenders right to own the corner.

It’s a really tough one to call. You have two of the best and fastest drivers here going into one of the fastest turns on the calendar side by side.

Honestly, no bias, it goes down as a racing incident for me. Max was doing his utmost to squeeze Lewis for what its worth, Lewis saw a gap and put his car in an awkward position.

As seen by Karun Chandhok’s analysis, Max actually makes two right turns into Lewis, knowing he is there and expecting him to yield.
Max has forced Lewis off track twice previously this season, Imola and Spain, but this time Lewis left his foot in which he has every right to do.

Max has the run off area whereas Lewis has wall to his right, I think Max should have just ran wide when he noticed Lewis up the inside, that’s what the run off area is for.
Lewis is not escaping blame either because he understeered and did not make the apex (like he did with Leclerc later on which was absolutely fine).

Glad he managed to win the race in the end.
Overall its just good hard racing, something we have been lacking in this overly santized sport. Also glad Max is OK as the crash was over 51G’s, insane.

4 Likes

I said most not ALL.

Do you keep the same energy when Max does this stuff?

I think Lewis had enough of yielding to max and decided to get punchy, I do think it was a racing incident more than anything.

Yes. Max has done this many times before and I felt the same way.

He did some dog shit to Ricciardo.

If this was a once off by Hamilton, I’d be less venomous. But this is probably the 5th time.

1 Like

Perez had a shocking weekend. The honeymoon period is well and truly over for him now.

How can that red bull not finish in the points after starting last.

Really lacking pace in qualy as well.

1 Like

Max gets away with this every weekend and everyone is forced to yield to avoid a crash. The thing about doing it while leading the championship is you now have everything to lose and the other drivers do not.

Another lesson for max there.

I disagree with the tweet that max was clearly in the wrong because it’s still fair but aggressive driving but the point is he often forces cars to HAVE to make a decision. Can only do it so often before getting bit.

2 Likes

I really don’t see how anyone can look at this incident and say it’s on Lewis. It must be bias just because he’s won so much. The first rule of clean open wheel racing is giving your fellow driver space in incidents like this. Max knew Lewis was there and purposely tried to cut him off. That’s dirty in itself, Lewis is being squeezed to the wall and Max has a ton of space to the outside. Max was not only wrong but it also cost him a ton of points. As you guys have already said u gotta sacrifice that position thinking about the title.

1 Like

Lewis was probably more in the wrong with Charles than he was Vs Max imo

Also Charles Leclerc is fucking unreal, right there with Max when the mistakes stop happening.

It was a racing incident between Lewis and Max. Yes Lewis missed the apex, and could have backed off, but Max also decided to turn into Lewis and could have given him more room. Max drives very aggressively and up to now Lewis has backed out and allowed Max through because he was the one with too much too lose. I think that yesterday was a case of Lewis laying down a marker for Max as much as anything to make him think twice the next time they are in that situation.

I also really don’t care what David Coulthard and Mark Webber say…they are both two failed No.2 drivers who have never won a Championship. There is a reason they are on Channel 4 and not on Sky! And didn’t they both drive for Red Bull…I’m sure that didn’t cloud their judegement at all on the matter!

Max is still a hot head and it will be interesting to see how he reacts at the next race. Mistakes and DNF could easily cost him the Championship this season.

Anyway I’m still #teamlewis