Football Twitter nerd stuff

Even the use of this phrase. What a knut!

Where’s the contradiction?

The analytics/the stats are used to narrow down the options and then you obviously also watch the player/the team(s) in action.

2 Likes

There isn’t so much of a contradiction as it’s more a lack of acknowledging that everything Liverpool has become has to do with Klopp. These snippets from the thread:

• … Liverpool have done, follow the breadcrumbs of how they have done it, and hoover every smart analytical mind into the sky.

• Want to recreate what LFC have done? Hire the people who have been in lockstep with them on the public side since 2013-14.

The advise should be to clone Jurgen Klopp. Not too implement a (proper) statistics department.

Like I said that wasnt my point, point was that both he and his agent were shocked at how ill prepared the Lakers were and behind the times on the analytics front.

Yeah that’s fair enough, so the point you were trying to make was an overview not the LMA case in particular. Understood.

1 Like

More AMN propaganda that I found

3 Likes

Tag @Phoebica for full effect

2 Likes

Confident on the back of these last 3 games that AMN is our RB of the future. Just gotta improve that xG Buildup.

1 Like

Who knew that a player who has been trained in a defensive minded role as a youth would have good defensive actions on the field? Consider my mind blown actually.

Bellerin deserves the nod over AMN still because of the attacking impact I expect he is going to have under Arteta.

Tbf @Phoebica

Bellerin is pretty good defensively and is great at keeping possession and playing good passes.

Basically we have 2 pretty good RBs and spending any money on another one, with our holes elsewhere, is insanity.

1 Like

Ted Knutson the statsbomb guy is an Arsenal fan btw.

Not when you realise we just went half a season with Bellerin playing handful of games.

No. We have one actual RB and a guy masquerading as one.

Maybe Ndidi is good :thinking: @Castiel

It’s simple: He has won more tackles (53) and made more interceptions (56) than any other player in the Premier League. Add up the defensive work of his midfield partners, Tielemans and Maddison, and neither their combined tackles (43) nor their interceptions (26) come close to matching Ndidi’s mark. He’s doing the dirty work all by himself.

However, that doesn’t even do his dominance justice. Leicester average more possession than all but 13 teams across England, Italy, Spain and Germany’s top flights. Part of that is because Ndidi is able to keep winning them the ball back, but that also means there are fewer opportunities for him to make defensive plays. TruMedia, though, offers defensive statistics that normalise possession for every 1,000 opponent touches. Ndidi is averaging 7.33 tackles and 4.74 interceptions per 1,000 opponent touches. Both marks are top in the four aforementioned leagues.

Per 1,000 opponent touches stat :giroud2: :giroud2: GET ME SOME OF THAT IN NON PAY FOR USE MEDIA TRUMEDIA :syringe: :syringe: :syringe: :syringe: :syringe: :syringe:

1 Like

He’s quality, but I’m not sure he’s baller enough for Arteta, though if we want to play possession football again he’s the type of player that could make that happen with his ability to win the ball back. However we would need two great passers of the ball in front of him.

1 Like

Bielsa is very very good. I only knew of him after seeing his Chile at the 2010 WC.

Other clubs could have done a lot worse than getting him. United did do worse (he’d have maybe been a good choice for them, what you guys think?)

Even Bielsa’s bucket has more ideas than Soljskaer

3 Likes

Bielsa is known to be a football purist who absolutely loathes the business/corporate/marketing side of the game. Ed Woodward is the business/corporate/marketing side of the game personified.

It would be the ultimate odd couple marriage. But I doubt it would last longer than a couple months.

1 Like

I think the way his teams defend is an outdated way to defend.

Not a fan of his cult status either.

3 Likes

This is such an A.F. post hahaha :joy::joy:

I agree though, his methods wore thin fast enough at Athletic and at Marseille that you can see why he’s not been looked at by big clubs since (aside from his iconoclastic personality).

He’s a fun character though, it’s good to have cult figures like him in this sport. And Bielsismo is more or less synonymous with the good things about Wengerismo/Guardiolismo so in that sense mark me as pro Bielsa cult status.

2 Likes