Folarin Balogun

2 Likes

Arsenal will let promising striker Balogun go out on loan in January

Arsenal have decided to allow Folarin Balogun to leave the club on loan in January until the end of the season.

The 20-year-old is attracting a huge amount of interest but a decision on his destination has yet to be made. All parties are still to discuss where would be best for him to develop further.

When in January a loan might come remains unclear because of the short-term futures of Eddie Nketiah and Alexandre Lacazette. Both have contracts expiring this summer, but whether they are sold in January or see out their terms could be determining factors, while Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang will likely be at the Africa Cup of Nations with Gabon.

While the situation could change, Arsenalā€™s current intention is for the striker to depart on a temporary basis.

The club made their high hopes for the England Under-21 international clear last season by rewarding him with a long-term deal until 2025. Aubameyang turning 33 in June also helps his case for being a longstanding member of the first-team squad, but it is understood finding the right challenge for the second half of this season is key.

After making his Premier League debut in unexpected circumstances against Brentfordin August, the striker has featured just twice for the first team. In that time, he has turned out regularly as captain of Kevin Betsyā€™s under-23s/21s, scoring 16 goals in 12 games in all competitions.

Betsy has insisted Balogun has still improved despite spending the season with the under-23s, highlighting his link-up play and movement off the ball in particular. This came after he helped Arsenal Under-21s come back from 2-0 down against Ipswich Town to win 4-3 on penalties in the Papa Johnā€™s Trophy last week.

It is thought that Arsenal recognise Balogun must be challenged at a higher level after his exploits so far this season. Ensuring he is exposed to the right environment, team and league will be taken into consideration when deciding his loan destination.

Ornstein

I hope I eat humble pie but itā€™s pretty clear to me that Balogun (and Nketiah) donā€™t have any future here and will at best be mid-table strikers if that.

More Afobe/JET than ESR/Saka with those two

2 Likes

Balogun is about fifth choice and with no EL football he isnā€™t going to get any games with the first team.

So sending him out on loan so he can get regular football means at least we can see how good he actually is.

He is another young player that could be useful on the bench but is unlikely to be top four quality level.

Thatā€™s where Iā€™m leaning with Balogun too.
I almost gave up on ESR before his loan at Huddersfield too though and he has turned out massive for us.
Considering Laca and Eddie are going, and Auba is gonna be 33 by next year, itā€™s likely Flo will get first team minutes out of necessity so heā€™ll have his chance to turn things around.

You know, 6 months ago Iā€™d have been raging about this.

But Iā€™ve just been desensitised to the consistent stupidity from this club (the doublethinking fans whose minds are so malleable to defend all of it)

Long may it continue, and maybe I wonā€™t even keep up with stuff like this. Until the regime changes I suppose.

3 Likes

what has changed since the start of the season?

Why was he retained initially over a loan?

1 Like

Could be similar to Salibaā€™s case?
Or perhaps the club didnā€™t want to let Balogun go with the uncertainty of Laca and Nketiah?

I wonder if Iā€™m the only one who read that as Kevin Davies and thought what the actual fuck, before realising that surely couldnā€™t be possible.

2 Likes

Heā€™s just toying with them. :joy:

3 Likes

Just need to see him do something in a real match now.

11 Likes

surely a better option than Nketiah especially with him threatening to leaveā€¦why give minutes to him give to Balogun instead.

We could have a baller squad if we ever get a legit manager in. Balogun, Saka, Martinelli, ESR, Odegaard, Guendo, Saliba. Dayum we are stacked, just need an aids cocktail to rid us of the football HIV weā€™ve got currently.

4 Likes

Nice clips. Will come to the mens team and have a touch like a donkey and get muscled off every ball.

10 Likes

Yeah youā€™re right @shamrockgooner this kid isnā€™t the answer

:wave:t3:

Hopefully the end of those highlight U23 Clips. What a waste of time.

1 Like

I never said that. Wellā€¦I probably would if pushedā€¦I just refuse to care about anything that happens in youth Football.

1 Like

Who knew lol