Folarin Balogun

Could be soon be representing the US

I wouldnā€™t particularly blame him. Can go into the next World Cup as one of the stars of tourney.

2 Likes

Agreed. The USMNT has some decent talent and it really seems like football is starting to pick up speed across the pond so who knows he could be joining a team on the up where heā€™d definitely be a big fish.

Better than trying to please the fucking myopic Southgate

1 Like

England got a striker drought behind kane, would hope heā€™d play for us instead.

Toney and Abraham would be ahead of Balogun. So would Rashford.

Blgun gets a clear run in the US team.

1 Like

If Balogun is good, those players are not much of a competition.

2 Likes

Doesnā€™t look like Southgate has much faith in Toney. Abraham is awful.

However, Balogun probably wonā€™t be a starter for England going into the World Cup unless he hits undeniable levels, and weā€™ve seen Southgate being stubborn enough to ignore some of the footballā€™s greatest performers for his ā€œboysā€.

1 Like

Southgate keeps picking Wilson.

Says it all.

1 Like

USA it is.

1 Like

England fans, gutted or?

Hard to know. Maybe in a few years when we have a better idea of his ceiling. But at the moment, nah not too bothered.

1 Like

I mean as an Arsenal fan would you be if we sold him in summer? Heā€™s having an exceptional loan no doubt, one of the best Iā€™ve seen in terms of numbers but whether or not he can do that at a higher level is very much up in the air.

Not that Iā€™d consider England a higher level lols

2 Likes

USA look like they could do with him, I donā€™t hate it. They play some Ferreira guy up front.

Something not right about this on his behalf. If he wants Arsenal or a big club coming in for him, he surely backs himself to challenge for the England set up.
His loan spell has been impressive, but who his suitors are if we donā€™t take him back will be interesting.
I would of waited if I was him on jumping ship. Could regret that in a few years. Not as if the USA wouldnā€™t take him at a later date.

1 Like

Iā€™d imagine most England fans arenā€™t really even aware of who Balogun is, or if they are, havenā€™t really considered him at all with regards to the national side.

I suspect at most you might get an opinion out of some Gooner England fans. As one, I canā€™t say I really care too much.

Interesting move on his behalf, gave it a quick googs and he moved to England at 2 years old, having been born in New York. Given that, youā€™d typically expect him to feel more English than American, so if I were to guess I wouldnā€™t think that heā€™s made this decision based on playing for the national side that feels like home to him. But who knows.

Given the season heā€™s having, Kaneā€™s advancing years (not that heā€™s done yet by any stretch) and Rashford seemingly being predominantly a wide forward, youā€™d think he might fancy giving it a couple of years to see how it works out. Even with Southgate liking his favourites, youā€™d have thought heā€™s not far off a call up, particularly if he starts next season in a similar vein of form.

In the course if looking him up, I also saw that his middle name is Jerry, which has amused me.

2 Likes

The commercial possibilities for Balogun are likely pretty ridiculous if he chooses USA, as he could plausibly become the de facto face of USA soccerball in the wealthiest market in the world during the runup to a World Cup held in the country.

Iā€™m not justifying the choice but a lot of decisions by footballers end up coming down to money and I wouldnā€™t be surprised if its a factor here.

If he does go in this direction, I wonder a little about whether it would change the clubā€™s calculus about him. Arteta is never going to play somebody for commercial reasons but Balogun-as-USA-star could be a marketing/commercial goldmine for Arsenal and maybe something like that could tip the balance in a more club-level decision on whether to prioritize keeping him vs. Nketiah at the club.

4 Likes

That would do wonders for his social media folarin

9 Likes

Rather he played for us but not gonna get upset about it. Would care if he fucked Arsenal off, England? Meh.

Weird behaviour not to just announce it before any call ups though.

Be quite funny if he chose Nigeria in the end.

Pulisic threatened it for about 15 seconds and Adu seemed to have the world at his feet - America is crying out for a superstar. Maybe Balogun backs himself to step into the role?
Guaranteed World Cup appearance if youā€™re an American. Good choice.

2 Likes

I get it from Balogunā€™s perspective.

The US has already qualified for the World Cup, heā€™ll very likely be a nailed on starter and the American fans will worship him.

Huge opportunity for him, whereas thereā€™s no such guarantee of playing for England at the World Cup. Thereā€™s a good chance Southgate will still be manager and the way he plays favourites regardless of form has probably influenced him a bit as well.

3 Likes