Skhodran Mustafi

Arsenal’s 2015 summer transfer window: This is the worst transfer window Arsenal could possibly have.

Arsenal’s 2016 summer transfer window: Hold my beer.

4 Likes

I actually prefer 2015’s :joy:

2 Likes

That Cech window damaged Wenger’s preceding good work.
Had a good team which needed to be supplemented.

Horrible decision to not sign couple of midfielders then and a winger.

And then didn’t sign a good player till Lacs/Auba

5 Likes

This was a devastating window, I agree… the other big failing was the calamity of strikers we had after Henry left, bar RVP and to some degree the period where Adebayor was actually good… the rest were a shambles.

1 Like

Going into the season with Giroud, welbz and Sanogoal as strikeforce… glad them days are over Emery In !

3 Likes

Was rectified when we tried Sanchez as CF against City where he scored but Wenger decided against following that experiment.

Feel it only fair to include pre injury Eduardo as a non calamity.

But I loved him so I’m biased.

4 Likes

Apparently Emery tells you what weaknesses you have to work on, he must have awfully long chats with Mustafi then.

Its basically a 4 hour tape on loop… needs to extend it apparently.

1 Like

I always imagined it was given to him in the form of a terabyte memory stick :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

That 2016 window set the team back quite a bit.

Mustafi isn’t really performing here.
Xhaka looks like he doesn’t fit in any system.
Lucas is gone and I think that was the summer we could have signed Mahrez instead.

6 Likes

God… looking at it that way… 2 summers in a row… a team like Arsenal cannot do that.

1 Like

Arsenal
1SzczesnyBooked at 90mins
2Debuchy
4Mertesacker
6Koscielny
18Monreal
20Flamini
17Sánchez
16Ramsey
19Cazorla
11Özil
22Sanogo

Big Yaya was our striker the day Alexis got his first PL goal for us away to Leicester. Scenes :joy:

1 Like

Remember that match quite clearly. Had high hopes for the big Yaya.

Seing Ramsey and Flim Flam as the midfield two is pure suicidal.

1 Like

That’s such an arsenal line up, four great players in midfield with a striker that completely sets the team back.

3 Likes

That was the year we did our business early and weren’t scared to spend. Personally, I think at that time the big fallout between Wenger and Gazidis was put in motion. Can’t believe Arsene sanctioned those transfers like he usually did. Probably that year or the year before was when we started doing transfers more stat driven. Gabriel if I remember correctly was the start the season before.

Not to be a dick but what notable have Auba and Laca done? Giroud, Wele and Walcott did pretty well for us. We’ve seen some pretty good football at that time actually and they all managed to score in big moments when we needed them.

(Sanogo btw was so toothless as striker but his stature always caused panic even with big sides😂)

Mustafi getting flamed but it was Sokratis who was 10 yards behind play for every attack including their first goal.

1 Like

Sorry but I can’t let the assertion that Danny Welbeck has done well for us go unchallenged. His best return is 10 in a season, 5 of which came in the PL. He’s been crap and the only good thing he done was the goal against united. Don’t even care about the one against Leicester, it was completely irrelevant in the long run.

And Sanogo didn’t cause any panic, that’s just a thing Wenger said about him but it was never true.

4 Likes

Nah. Welbeck did very well for us and offers more than just goals. Plays all 3 positions up top comfortably, he is a good dribbler, fast and works his ass off for the team. Laca and Auba might be quality but overall they haven’t done better than Welbeck yet imo.
He was slated to be sold before he came back, then Emery saw him in training and probably asked for him to stay. I mean Emery said he could even play left back :joy:.
It wouldn’t surprise me if he ends up earning a starting spot. He’s right up Emery’s alley with his workrate.