Favourite Highbury memories

I will always remember Charlie Nicholas’ debut, first game of the '83 season. Beat Luton 2-1, was so excited to see Charlie, he played pretty well I recall.
He never really really set the world on fire for us unfortunately, and will best be remembered for the League Cup final win in '87.

4 Likes

Mine is the last game of the old North Bank
It was my dear father’s last game he attended.
Ian Wright beat Alan Shearer to the golden boot .
If I remember rightly Arsenal beat Southampton 4-2 and Ian Wright scored possibly one of his greatest Arsenal goals ,
Seamen collected the ball and threw the ball to Wrighty and Wrighty took off and went and went then blasted the ball past … Tim Flowers ?
I can’t remember fully but I remember seeing my ol’dad with tears in his eyes .
Another memory from Highbury was , and very much forgotten goal was Anders Limpar lobbing Grobbelaar from the halfway line .
Phenomenal goal , one very much forgotten about .
Fabulous memories in these difficult times .

10 Likes

Lovely memory that, Ash.

I’ll bet your old man had some stories to tell about Arsenal from way back when!

And @giner I can’t believe you were actually at that fabled game in 1958 against the Busby Babes. That game is held in folklore!

7 Likes

My ol’dad saw that game , i didn’t.
Dad saw Duncan Edwards play and dad said he was a huge man and a brilliant player .

6 Likes

They’ve named a road after him in the West Midlands.

2 Likes

Think it was Mike Hooper but it was a great goal and superb team performance that day.

4 Likes

Yes Strolls
Good shout .
Happy belated birthday fella

3 Likes

One thing I really miss is the team running out on a midweek match.
Hate this side by side handshake thing. The anticipation before they appear never left me from a kid to an adult.

4 Likes

Got to stay nice idea for thread @Ashgooner1, some really really nice reads in here from the older lot.

4 Likes

Isn’t the a plate glass window or something in à church of him somewhere in his birthplace.

2 Likes

Yeah, slip of a lad then. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Does anyone know where you cqn get collection of Highbury over the years both inside the stadium(offices,boardroom, bar, restaurant in west stand) and of course match day. I knowthere is stuff on line but anywhere with more comprehensive