Everton

Managing in London leaves him in the shadow of a greater number of clubs though, but it hasn’t stopped him having a good time at West Ham and helping them make strides.

City were in United’s shadow, now not quite so much. Not saying Everton’s investment will be so drastic, but it’s not like there isn’t precedent for the smaller side in a City making big strides.

Tbh, I don’t really understand why this “being in someone’s shadow” thing is even an issue, what does that really mean to a manager like David Moyes? Surely he’s well used to it now anyway, even if we do accept it causes some sort of issue.

Liverpool being better doesn’t put a cap on Moyes improving on Everton’s current position of tenth, does it?

It does on a personal level IMO. His best season at Everton he came 4th and above Liverpool. They go and land the CL and it’s instantly forgotten.
They then fail to make the group stage in the following season CL the only English side to do it and it impacted harder on them because of Liverpool success.
He might have more London based clubs in the prem but they aren’t seen as direct rivals.
Bottom line is for me there isn’t much between either club and room for real growth negligible. I’d just stay put with my current project if I was him for now.
Last season probably means even if things unravel at West Ham he will get another premier job now anyway. Something tbf might have not happened had he had a poor season.

It’s not though, really, cos not only did you just bring it up, loads of people still remember that and list it as one of his big acheivements to this day.

Just agree to disagree here, I think. Yours is a reasonable argument, it’s not like I think you’re talking shit or anything haha, I just think we have a different way of thinking about this issue.

But I would bet good money that last season represents his peak at West Ham and that it’ll be diminishing returns if he stays there, I’m pretty confident of that.

1 Like

It will be interesting to see how much West Ham back Moyes in the transfer window.
I’ve got a few mates who support them and they’ve said that the board are going to give him around 50m to spend, although they are going to have to spend most of that on a striker as they haven’t got a proper goal scorer.

If they don’t back him financially, Moyes might go to a club that will, which could well be Everton.

1 Like

Wonder what will happen with Lingaard?

1 Like

Was thinking I wonder if these lot will try and go for Conte? The squad already has a few players who are in the Conte type and this new board will be willing to spend big if necessary. I’m sure Ancellotti having managed there would of made it a less embarrassing job to take on. Would be a challenge as well.

2 Likes

Yeah they should go all out for Conte, back him with whomever in the transfer market.

3 Likes

He’s in a good place Conte and the publicity with Spurs has made him seem very approachable to a lot of clubs.
He’s to good for Everton though and going too be getting a big job.

1 Like

He walked away as soon as a better job came along.

And anyway, Ancelotti isn’t that good of a manager these days, but hey, that fits the Real Madrid way. All those decent managers available and they hire Ancelotti.

3 Likes

Yeah I agree he might be passed it, all though to be fair before the injuries starting piling in he did have Everton playing well.

My point was that he is one of the most successful managers in football and with a massive reputation and legacy, if he was willing to go to Everton is in away an endorsement that Everton aren’t as low level as we in the UK think they are.

1 Like

That applies to Mourinho too. He is one of the most successful managers in football. Doesn’t mean they’ll turn mediocre clubs into non mediocre clubs when they are past their best. Though pretty sure @SRCJJ said Ancelotti would get Everton top 4 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I did say I believed it would happen by the end of next season if memory serves me well haha. Last season was disappointing, but I still completely believe Carlo would have had a better campaign. Ultimately, the Everton squad is still a very underwhelming team lacking in quality pretty much everywhere.

2 Likes

Yeah I agree, but the current owners, new stadium project and Ancelloti having managed there definitely raises the profile of the club in my opinion.

They got money and they will spend it, they spent like £30m on Iwobi :joy: if they were really ambitious they would be on the phone to Conte now, and give him whatever signings he wants. Might be difficult getting the best players but money talks in football and I really think if he got his players and with the current crop Conte could definitely get them in touching distance of top 4.

Conte is at a peak though. Ancelotti wasn’t. Conte strikes me as a manager who wants to go somewhere where he actually has a chance at trophies even if that team aren’t necessarily favourites. Everton aren’t that team.
Everton are Everton.

6 Likes
1 Like

Would be a good move for them. Providing Rafa motivation level remains reasonable.

2 Likes

It would be an interesting appointment, I def think he can break into that space between 5th and 7th.

The competition at the top is just too much

Scraping the barrel aren’t they, pretty much their slogan I suppose

1 Like

He’s a spent force now. Pretty much equates to Everton.

1 Like