Earliest major historical event you can remember?

Shane Warne bowling Mike Gatting with the ball of the century.

2 Likes

All 97.

For a lot of the people who mentioned events in 97, Iā€™m surprised they havenā€™t gone for the shocking events of Dunblane just a year earlier.

It was given massive media coverage at the time. Even as I type, Iā€™m shocked at the events that transpired there. Really sad times :pensive:

2 Likes

When was the Lockerbie terrorist attack?

Oh yeah, now youā€™ve said it, I do remember that. It was around my birthday. I remember Euro 96 quite well too, but didnā€™t think that constituted an historical event.

4 Likes

Ages before, mate. I think @leper might remember that, seeing as heā€™s said Berlin Wall.

1 Like

With this, I can remember switching on ITV on a pleasant Saturday afternoon and seeing England on telly just about to kick off v Switzerland. I thought I had to wait for a whole week for Englandā€™s first live game on telly against Scotland.

Maybe it was youthful naivety or just not enough media coverage of a game (no social media, either) but I recall it being a nice memory just to tune in and watch football spontaneously :blush:

1976 Concorde Flight & Tiswas :rofl:

1 Like

@InvincibleDB10 ā€˜s will be the signing of the Magna Carta.

2 Likes

That was Dec 1988. I donā€™t remember that at all. I know about it, but definitely wasnā€™t aware of it as a kid.

1 Like

I was gonna say Princess Diana dying, it is obviously the first thing that came to mind as a thirty year old, but I donā€™t actually think thatā€™s an historically significant event beyond a cultural level. So Iā€™d probably say The Good Friday Agreement when I was 8, I remember my parents talking animatedly about it and me not really being able wrap my head around the idea of a conflict like that existing within Britain.

1 Like

#Saturdayā€¦Saturdayā€¦#

1 Like

I think you win mate

That shitted up the weekend, football and everything good was cancelled. Also this:

2 Likes

It totally ruined my weekend morning cartoon session, nothing but wall to wall fucking news.

Aside from that, love Stewart Lee. Seen him live three times, one of which was a three hour long show at the Royal Festival Hall when he was working out the second series of Comedy Vehicle and did the whole thing in one night.

1 Like