Earliest major historical event you can remember?

Thought this would be a good thread idea. It is 9/11 for me :joy: Can remember having minutes silence in primary school with it starting and ending with the school bell haha

1 Like

Moon landing. Nearly 6 at the time but can remember that.

4 Likes

Various bombings.

Moon landing for me as wellā€¦Not historical as such, but I always remember my dad talking about Muhammed Ali after his boxing matches, and my dad hated sport, which is why that stands out for meā€¦He loved Aliā€¦

1 Like

The Oklahoma City Bombing in 1995 is probably the clearest.

I remember the changes in history lesson because of the Berlin wall coming down, Nelson Mandelaā€™s release in 1990 and the break up of the Soviet Union in 1991, but I donā€™t remember experiencing them as them happened.

1 Like

Yea Iā€™d say Berlin Wall for me. It was entirely unclear to me at the time why there was a wall or why it was coming down but it was absolutely everywhere.

1 Like

Princess Dianaā€™s death is the one that comes to mind. I got up, put the TV on and there was news on every channel, I remember hearing Diana had died but I werenā€™t all that interested so I just starting playing Mario Kart instead. My mum got up and I casually said ā€œPrincess Diana is deadā€. We then had to watch TV all day because my mum is a massive royalist and absolutely loves her. She took us into London to lay flowers too.

6 Likes

Same here!! I was about 7 watching cartoons at like 6am on a Saturday and saw it on the news as I was flicking to CITV.

Ran straight upstairs to my sleeping parents and said that she had died and spent the rest of the weekend forced to watch that.

The assassination of prime minister Olof Palme 1986. Remember waiting for the cartoons to start on tv, but all they talked about was that Palme was dead. So me and my sister woke my parents and said ā€œPalme is deadā€. I was only 6 but remember it very well.

1 Like

The 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami

2 Likes

Easy one for us over here because we have earthquakes. Dunno if that would qualify but when I was only 4 we had a big one that year hit like 5 miles from where we lived, hard to forget those :joy::joy:

2 Likes

Princess Diana

Some asteroid hitting Jupiter on a Saturday night.

Jupiterā€™s a badass. Didnā€™t even flinch

Same lol. I was in P2 and my teacher came in saying something terrible had happened and I didnā€™t quite understand but knew something was wrong.

1 Like

Berlin Wall for me you young dickheads

1 Like

I agree with the tweet. Can we ban people who list anything post 2000? They make me feel old.

1 Like

1994 World Cup

Falklands War/The siege of the Israeli embassy

1 Like

Whichever was first out of Diana, giving up Hong Kong and Bill Clinton getting a blowjob

5 Likes

I remember the Berlin Wall, but I donā€™t really remember watching it. Whereas the end of the Cold War and the fall of the Soviet Union was really bing news in the US. I remember seeing it on the news. But the Oklahoma City Bombin was the first one that I really followed the news and had a real impact on me.

1 Like