Do Arsenal have the best squad in Premier League?

(Though I did write ‘since we started shopping’) but I obv. get what you mean and agree :smiley:

With how the schedule is build this is perfectly possible. We play Spurs, Stoke (away), United and Everton in the last four games. Dropping from a higher place to 3rd/4th is perfectly possible. But if Arsenal finishes around ~80 points and comes in third that’s probably a fair reflection of the qualities of this squad imo.

1 Like

Im not sure we have improved or the rest of the league has got worse , our football at times has been difficult to watch but yes this season there are notable signs of tangible improvement !

1 Like

We have improved on last season, Im the ultimate pessimist but even I will admit that.

4 Likes

I think our overall squad depth is the best it’s ever been under Wenger. But best squad in the league? Hmmm not sure. City aren’t playing well at the moment, but at their best, no one is going to argue that they are worse than us. Chelsea also have a decent squad. Their first 11 is obviously top draw but I also think Willian and Fabregas are better than the players we usually have on our bench.

1 Like

NOPE.
First 10 our 12 players ok. But wait until we have to go back to merit,s n co.
Dreading that day.
At the moment we are doing great against the team’s we used to struggle against. Let’s keep going and where it ends.

1 Like

I don’t think the other big teams have so many big reserves. Just look at Manure: they always have to play their strongest team in every competition.

One thing that does strike me in general about the league (and perhaps Europe overall) is what has happened to the quality defenders and GKers… is it just me, or is there more pathetic defending going on in EPL than previous years? Seriously - who are the top defenders any more in our league and across Europe?

2 Likes

[quote=“ljungbergkamp, post:28, topic:1015, full:true”]
One thing that does strike me in general about the league (and perhaps Europe overall) is what has happened to the quality defenders and GKers… is it just me, or is there more pathetic defending going on in EPL than previous years? Seriously - who are the top defenders any more in our league and across Europe?
[/quote]I definately think quality of defending has dropped off significantly in the last 5 years. I brought it up on the old Forum. Competition between teams is closer, but there doesn’t seem to be much art of defending anymore.

Long gone are the days of say the famous ‘back 4’ style, a club like ours used to have in the day. Anyone keeping 20 goals or less a season would be an incredible achievement now.

1 Like

Yes there is a considerable shortage of premium quality defenders and strikers in the market. I think in PL you wont find more than 5/6 top quality defenders.

Personally think a lot of the rule changes particularly to the offside has had an impact on modern defending.
Teams attack in far more subtle ways now.
Also defence starts with cover from midfield more. I would concede though the reading of the game at the back has become very much a lost attribute of the modern day defender.

Our midfield could become a bit stretched in January, we’ll already be missing Cazorla but we’ll also lose Elneny for at least a month because of the AFCON.

3 players for 2 spots :worried:

That’s when @BigWeng_4LYFE 's prediction of Ox playing in mids will come through, leading to yet another smug moment for a4tt.

2 Likes

So overrating our squad or the manager just not good enough ? My opinion is its obvious the manager isn’t good enough but our squad also needs some work. Our Left back situation is very poor given the decline of Monreal, we have no answers when it comes to replacing Santi and we all know we are a world class forward short which will become 2 when Alexis leaves.

1 Like

Fuck our squad. Give our shit manager a better set of players and we’ll still be where we are. He’s the sole problem and until he fucks off we’re completely hopeless.

3 Likes

:xhaka: :mustafi:

Haha I was really surprised when I seen treble didn’t make this thread

No we don’t. I’d happily sell the lot of the overated pricks

2 Likes

The positivity in the earlier posts in this thread is great! Best squad in the league, best squad depth we’ve ever had, Gabriel being a good full back, best midfield quality etc :joy: Now we’re on course for our worst finishing position in 20 years! The difference a few months makes eh?!

2 Likes

I think we can answer the question with a categorical “no”.

And to think people thought our squad was on the same level as Juventus lol.

3 Likes