Denis Suárez (signed)

Yep. If you stumble upon a fire and throw water at it even though you probably heard you shouldn’t do it, it still is understandable as you panicked. If you had fire extinguisher near you and used it that’s still panicking. You get stressed and rush trying to fix stuff.
Panic buys aren’t always bad.

Ok. I respectfully disagree. If you sell a top player for a lot of money and you are likely to spend money to replace them… spending it on a scattershot approach seems more panicky to me than an Auba-type signing.

If we agree they had to sell Alexis in Jan and it was getting worse over time, surely the team didn’t suddenly realize on Jan 22 - oh crap, we have to do something!

Anyway, I get what you are saying… it seems like any sale in January would by definition precipitate panic buy, regardless of how it was spent in your mind.

Yeah I can see what you’re saying, but I simply won’t fault the club for signing one of the best strikers in the world. Ideally I would rather we sell Laca and spend that money on signing a LW to help balance out the squad better in an attacking sense.

Yeah. I don’t fault them for that. It was a much needed signing at the time and one that helped lift our team from thinking that we had another RVP or Fabregas window.
In hindsight obviously we should have thought of it better but it’s not all bad. Both Laca and Auba have a great market value and both could be sold for profit even, strikers always sell well, especially the great ones.

1 Like

I would have to disagree with this. PEA became available and we took advantage of the situation, especially having the Sven connection. I dunno about 4th place panic, but PEA was cup tied for EL so I really doubt that factored into it. To me that move is a no brainer. PEA is twice the player Laca is, and when that guy becomes available you do what you can to get him, regardless of whether or not your mediocre EL tier striker is fit or not.

1 Like

Don’t say that!

The only reason to be positive about this guy is because Emery knows him and perhaps has a plan for him in this team. Other than that, to be perfectly honest, I am looking forward to Mr. Diamond Eye’s signings as that’s the best chance of us signing players that will actually make a difference.

I do agree. Good players who will hopefully come good.

Have you seen Suarez’s dribbling, he definitely can skip past 2-3 players with finesse.

Don’t understand this sort of comment. Emery doesn’t set up the club for a run of anything. There’s a huge team behind the scenes working on scouting and negotiations. Emery can only work with what he is given. You need to open your eyes some.

3 Likes

Just seems surprising that a lot of our scouting seems to involve players that have previously been signed by Sven or played under Emery should this happen…

Surely that’s the opposite of surprising.

Just seems like lazy recruitment and scouting.

Obviously not Aubameyang as he’s simply top quality. But Mkhitaryan, Sokratis and potentially Suárez.

It’ll only be lazy recruitment if the signings don’t pay off ie CL football next season.

I can see the pros and cons of relying on relatively known quantities though

7 Likes

So, Denis apparently said that Emery is one of the best managers in the world. He is pretty much begging now for us to adopt him.

1 Like

He said this years ago in his Sevilla days

How isn’t it lazy requirement if Champions League qualification is met :sweat_smile:?

1 Like

Important not to commit to anything. Let’s hope the player forces the issue later in month.

We are not desperate at all

2 Likes