Declan Rice (done and dusted)

Calm your tits I wasn’t talking about just you in isolation lol

He probably won’t come here. But that won’t be because we’re not attractive or ambitious or because he thinks Arteta is shit. It’ll be because he wants to go home to Chelsea. And we just can’t compete with that.

3 Likes

Well it came as a response to Calum responding to me so you better apologise

All I will say is this one of those signings will probably depend on us finishing in the top 4 or not for us to have a chance.

So let’s hope we haven’t done ourselves in with this January because where we actually finish I imagine will change everything for the Summer in terms of targets.

3 Likes

Not overly fussed if he goes to Chelsea and they have to spend massive on him, Declan Rice ain’t the missing link for Chelsea as to why they can’t win league titles or aren’t as good as City and Liverpool ATM.

1 Like

Also don’t think he’d really be the missing link for us. Partey gives us a problem imo, really not sure if he wants to play B2B and also be responsible for the creation next to a solid DM, or is the latter supposed to be his role?

Doesn’t play like an all out DM so I’d prefer a creative CM next to him. Rice at 80m aint it.

2 Likes

I just find it disappointing that this sort of player is what constitutes top midfielder nowadays.
Gives you balance and work rate but there’s nothing exciting or creative for me. Especially for stupid money.
Just factory farm footballer for me.

11 Likes

That’s pretty much how I see Rice. He’s a solid player, does the basics really well and is a safe bet in midfield but that’s not the kind of guy you consider a wow factor midfield signing. Obviously in the current game that’s a high level midfield signing but nobody can tell me that isn’t just a sound and good fundamental midfielder

4 Likes

The English tax on Rice seems to be particularly high, maybe because England is so starved for midfield talent.

I like him as a player but its hard to see him costing more than 50m max if he had the exact same attributes but was from Portugal or Senegal. Yet people are talking him up like an 80-100m player.

3 Likes

Exactly this. Perhaps his biggest strength is that he is consistent. Always does the job he is meant to do. But 100 million for that? Can’t digest that.

40 - 50m would be excellent.

3 Likes

I used to feel that way about Rice, till this season that is. He’s stepped up another level now. He’s able to lead a team on the pitch and has developed his ability to ball carry too which is unusual for a big blocky guy like him.

There’s still a lot more to come from him too IMO. I think the Euros did him a world of good tbh.

Screenshot_20220205-094449_YouTube

1 Like

:partey:

Rice and Partey would be the best midfield in the Barclays

5 Likes

Rice is still my number 1 transfer target for the summer…whole situation with Chelsea and Utd being below par could go in our favour in the summer.

2 Likes

Same.

Rice >>>>>>>

1 Like

I like Rice but spending huge sums on him is misguided. Benefiting from a huge English premium because we don’t produce world class DMs

5 Likes

He would be brilliant alongside Partey but I think West Ham are going to want more than we’re willing to pay for him and we’re going to need most of our budget for a striker.

A few of my mates who go to West Ham have been going on about Rice for the last couple of seasons and say he is the main reason why they are challenging for a top four place.

If we do get him and a decent striker it would certainly strengthen the positions we need upgrades in.

1 Like

yep… would love him here but zero chance imho. will be other suitors who chuck money at WHU and him.

1 Like

Statistically only Rodri and Kante are ahead of Rice this season, and both of those are worth their weight in gold. Rice would be worth big money IMO.

3 Likes

I think Rice for £60m is a great deal, wouldn’t go higher than that with his deal expiring in 2024