Declan Rice (done and dusted)

I used to think Partey was an eight and was a huge fan of his during his Atletico days but this season is the best I’ve ever seen him. He seems to always have time and space IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE! Even Modric didn’t seem to have as much time and space as Partey enjoys.

I really rate Rice and think he is pivotal for England. I think he might read the game a bit better than Partey and may cover more ground, but not as physical, calm on the ball (although he is pretty calm) and isn’t anywhere near of a progressive passer as Partey.

White and Zinny tucking in with Rice, Partey and Odegaard? That’s better than City.

1 Like

I was gonna jump into this but I reckon @SRCJJ will represent Partey well here.

2 Likes

I think this perception is down to the way West Ham set up. Ever since he has been at the top of my wishlist of midfield targets I’ve watched him closely and don’t think he would struggle with progressive passes in our team.

BUT you hit the nail on the head here…this is why Rice fits beautifully into our team, because you have players around him that can progress the ball from defence. It isn’t all on Rice.

2 Likes

I am a BIG Rice fan but surely it is Rice AND Partey instead of either or.

They don’t even play in similar set ups in order for us to make direct comparisons about them.

Ultimately Partey plays in a much more possession dominant team, with much better team setup around him so it’s hard to compare the players based on what they do now.

But Rice is much more timid and resistant to taking risks based on what I’ve seen. Partey is a Rolls Royce midfielder proven at the highest level of world football playing under Simeone and a totally different tactical setup under Arteta. In both teams he showed a tremendous degree of press resistance, fantastic passing range and the ability to pass between the lines and break teams shape.

I don’t know if Rice can do what Partey does. But I do know Partey can do what he does and I can only base this on what I’ve seen so far. Rice on the ball ability is a myth until I get to see him actually show initiative with the ball

6 Likes

I think in some games yes, particularly tricky away fixtures or where we need to shut up shop, but I think we need a better No.8 as an upgrade on Xhaka too. A midfield 3 next season of Partey, Rice and SMS would be immense. I’d like to say Bellingham, over SMS, but given the competition seems unlikely.

So you’re right, West Ham and Arsenal have very different set ups. Partey has also been nothing short of excellent in the team this year and does fit perfectly into our system. I do think though that Rice is better defensively than Partey. We way we are setting up now with White being inverted and Zinny, literally all over midfield like the match yesterday, means we need a very solid player who can sit in front of the back four. Partey is a player in his prime atm and I’m not saying he is dropped to the bench for every game, but if we are serious about challenging for the PL and CL (which is the one we all want after winning the PL again), we need a squad depth to match our ambition. If Rice is available we should go all out to get him.

1 Like

Why can’t one game is Party and Xhaka, next game is Party and Rice, and the other game is Rice and Xhaka?

We could have our best 3 CM for whole season without slotting El Niny in.

The club is clearly trying to work its way into a situation where we have more starting quality players than starting places. It is definitely going to be a recalibration for the fanbase because we’re so used to Arsenal having a clearly defined starting XI that sees minimal changes through a season.

3 Likes

I’m perfectly on board with adding quality players and Rice is infinitely better than the likes of Elneny and Lokonga. I don’t quite care that much about transfer fees

But I was disagreeing with the idea he’s better than Partey. Think he’s got a long way to go as a player to get there.

5 Likes

I just don’t like the idea of our summer targets going out as tweets now. Doesn’t help us get the player.

He’s got light years to go.

It’s frustrating because if I say he’s not good enough people get all offended and accuse me of being snobby towards West Ham. He’s not technical enough for me. He can’t do what Partey can do. Maybe Arteta thinks he can get there over the next two years.

1 Like

Declan Rice is a big old lump who isn’t a patch on Partey and is subject to the English tax.

If he was any other nationality we would not be talking £100m for him.

3 Likes

i reckon they have someone else they are after but rice is a big name and they are leaking this so people are pulled away from our real transfers especially after all of the Mudryk crap.

1 Like

I have made a couple of big calls on OA. I was right about Arteta and I was right about us signing Partey on deadline day. I’m going to make another. Rice is going to be a top, top quality player in years to come, wherever he ends up. I hope it’s at Arsenal. He has the quality, and the skill to succeed at the highest level in the PL IMO.

2 Likes

I disagree tbh. Think if we get him he’s automatically in the leadership group. The more the better

1 Like

Is being a starch a nationality, race, ethnicity or religion?

Jokes aside I think it’s very telling the club leaked this to friendly journalists. It feels like the old John Cross warchest stories that would drip out towards the end of January promising that this was the summer Wenger signed Lorik Cana and Schwartzer to fix DM and keeper while also buying some other attacker along the way.

It feels like we’re being primed for the old “sorry guys, January is a tough market and we refuse to pay crazy fees.”

Declan Rice ain’t better than Thomas Partey, absolutely no way.

Would I want to sign him ? Not sure it’s a wise use of our cash considering he’ll likely be off a bench unless he starts in the Xhaka role ? But Partey is 30 in the summer so he’ll need to be replaced some point…

Ultimately I’d rather another quality versatile wide player as a priority, but we do also need a CM.

2 Likes

Is there anyone we could sign whose better than Partey? Genuine question. Also our winger signing probably won’t be a starter either. That’s where we are at right now with our team.

Ultimately we are short in two positions Xhaka cover and Partey cover. Both players are in there 30s next season and crazy things happen to players in there 30s (See Fabinho).

Signing a top class player who could potentially phase out either one of them is a complete no brainier and a non negotiable for the summer window.

It’s the same as a winger it has to be fixed as well. But even then we still have options there. Can always have Jesus play wide if needed or Smith Rowe and the team won’t miss a beat. Take partey out and everything may well collapse.

Long story there’s no way solving our midfield issue is not a wise use of our cash.

5 Likes

Yeah all very valid points when you put it out like that :smiley:

Fuck we’ve made some good transfers last 2.5 years to be in the position with the starting side we have now.

I think he’s as close to an ideal Partey replacement as possible.

Look at his performance against France. It’s pretty much exactly what we want from our 6.

10 Likes