Danny Welbeck

Fact is both Auba and Laca do a great job helping out defensively from the front and on counters even sometimes. Welbeck is definition of superfluous and unless he is making like 40k, makes no sense to retain.

And then there are the injuries… likeable guy but absolutely pointless.

3 Likes

I think we’ve missed Welbeck somewhat in the last few months. I’m not saying he’d have been our saviour and banging in goals, but relying on just Auba and Laca alone for most of the season was always going to become an issue at some point. Not having a third option has definately not helped our cause if we needed to try something else in matches.

Welbeck’s probably off anyways this Summer, but it’s an area we need to sort out in the Summer, I don’t think any of the youths are at the level to be a third option striker right now.

3 Likes

OA is truly in meltdown mode :jake2:

3 Likes

Haha you bastard :ramsey: He was perfect for those Europa League games before he was injured. I guess we’re just scrapping below the barrels these days on quality :sweat_smile: I do like Danny though.

Thoughts? Love Welbz but not totally sure how I feel about this

1 Like

Danny who?

I’ve said before that I think we should do it. He’s a good squad player, back up for any of the forward roles. My thoughts echo what Arseblog has said:

We have some promising young attacking players coming through the ranks at Arsenal right now, but they’re not quite ready yet to make the step up. Reiss Nelson is the closest, but those who have high hopes for Bukayo Saka, Xavier Amaechi etc can surely see the logic in sending them out on loan to play regularly, develop and mature. Welbeck’s presence, even for another season, would allow us to do that, and I think we’ve missed him this season. He’s never going to be a prolific goalscorer, but he’s a real team player who works hard and adds genuine depth to the squad, and if he does leave we need to replace him via the transfer market.

If that’s something we’re planning on doing anyway via the transfer market, then fine: we can let him go, but in 12 months time we could get an actual transfer fee for Welbeck which – in sheer financial terms – is better business than losing an established England international for free.

2 Likes

We are a club that are famous for paying world class wages to average players.
Welbeck is the epitome of our useless wage structure and persistence with under performing, often injured players.

No other top club behaves like this, so why are we even considering keeping him when we could pay a proper player 100k a week to do a far better job.

1 Like

Happy with welbz to get another contract.

We can use him for one more season while we address the rest off the team this summer

1 Like

Mkhitaryan, Iwobi and Welbeck are mediocre/decent players. We need investment in a new winger regardless if we keep Welbeck. Which will make him a 4th choice player for those positions by default. Nelson turns 20 in the 19/20 season and now has two seasons under his belt where he participated in games with Arsenal and Leipzig. If the new regime is of the opinion he isn’t good enough to be 4th choice winger at this point in his career they might aswell get rid. If they do see future in him why not give him those minutes and have Welbeck in the way?

Apparantly our wages are very high and it limits our spending. How does it make sense to give an expensive 30-year old another two or three year deal when we need to cut back? Especially considering we have a core in the current squad that is aging.

1 Like

He’s 28 until he’s 29. And then he is 29 until he is 30. That’s how it works.

7 Likes

Hahaha, fair enough. I thought he was older. But with Ozil, Mkhi, Auba, Lacazette, Koscielny, Sokratis, Monreal I’d like to see them rejuvenate(?) this squad with u-26 players. Especially the forwards.

3 Likes

On reduced wages its a no brainer. Great squad player

1 Like

Great personality to have in the squad

It’s one where pay as you play with a relatively low weekly guarantee makes perfect sense for the club but it’s unlikely to make sense for the player.

I’m totally with you on this, it may not be top priority going into next seasom but surely the year(s) after we need to be looking at having an additional top, top class forward added to the squad.

Having Auba here really in the recent 6 or so months has made me forget the pain we all endured in not having a goal feasting forward (although some would argue he could have had tons more this season).

Back on Welbz, upon reflection would be more than happy with having him on a PAYP contract with targetted incentives.

I imagine he’ll get a better financial offer from another club, and that will be that.

We’re probably going to stick at the 80k - 100k mark, whereas West Ham, Everton, Leicester etc could give him more because there’s no transfer fee. I’m still pretty confident he leaves.

1 Like

I agree.
West Ham would be ideal for him.
He would be almost guaranteed to be a first team starting player and would follow in the long tradition of our attacking players going to West Ham, like Wright, Hartson, Suker, Ljundberg, Perez etc.

After yet another long term injury, it’s pointless keeping a player that is on such high wages, who rarely plays.

1 Like

TBH can we actually get someone better for 20m who can play on the wing and/or up front? If we can’t it makes sense as long as his wage doesn’t actually increase. His dribbling, pace, workrate does add a dimension to his game and he works well in a crossing system, which Emery wants to play.

The main worry is if he’s never the same again after this current injury

Realistically he’s not going to accept that. It’s 100k a week as least case scenario

Why should we pay 20 million for a bench player?