Danny Welbeck

You’re a smart dude but you talk such bollocks sometimes

2 Likes

I can’t see why we wouldn’t offer him a new deal. He’s a fantastic option to have and can play in three different positions. Last season he was decent when he played and his form this year has been very good. I don’t think we’ll find a third choice striker as good as him in the market, so why not keep him?

2 Likes

No let’s move on.
He had enough time to perform and get himself a new deal.

He’s leaving in the summer along with Cech and Ramsey

4 Likes

Well now, not anybody :wenger2:

Welbeck is one of many substandard Wenger era buys that needs to be replaced with an upgrade

I’m not all clued up on the financial side of running the club and all that. I just want to see the overall quality of the squad improve significantly

That means replacing Welbeck with a player that can challenge for a starting place on merit. A fast, skillful, dribbling winger would be great.

If not, promote a youngster like Eddie and see if he can progress like Iwobi has.

Either way, thanks Danny you done OK when fit

1 Like

Whether he stays or goes, we still need to buy in his position and you’d imagine buying a serious player in his position would basically be the end of his minutes.

The only way I could see him having any chance of staying and having and kind of semi-meaningful role is if the higher ups decide they want to shift somebody like Mkhitaryan instead which I don’t see happening.

He’s in pretty good form but form is temporary and a lack of class is permanent. We’ve seen better form than this from Giroud and Walcott and they were still not good enough to keep around long term.

I think Welbeck definitely deserves his moment in the sun, being loved by fans of a mid table club rather than that guy who was on the bench at United and Arsenal. I think his career is missing that.

1 Like

This “we need to upgrade” talk is all well and good. But he is our third choice forward, I hardly think class players are going to jump at the chance to fill that role. “A few substitute appearances and EL games v minions? Where do I sign?!”

2 Likes

We really don’t need to “upgrade” a third choice striker and back up wide utility player. Emery has made him pretty fucking useful in the squad and if Unai sees value in keeping him around, who are we to argue?

There’s no replacement that’ll come here to fill the kind of roles Welbeck and Elneny are doing pretty well for us. With tight schedules and injuries around the corner, we’re well served to have motivated and experienced squad players in the tank.

If we get rid, it’s probably going to be a youth player stepping into the role and it’s a potential downgrade.

1 Like

[quote]

We really don’t need to “upgrade” a third choice striker and back up wide utility player. Emery has made him pretty fucking useful in the squad and if Unai sees value in keeping him around, who are we to argue?

There’s no replacement that’ll come here to fill the kind of roles Welbeck and Elneny are doing pretty well for us. With tight schedules and injuries around the corner, we’re well served to have motivated and experienced squad players in the tank.

If we get rid, it’s probably going to be a youth player stepping into the role and it’s a potential downgrade. [/quote]

RT

I rather buy a quality player and rotate games between him & other quality players, rather than increasing salary of a sub-standard player who is only good enough for filler games.

1 Like

We also don’t need to pay our third choice option £100k a week though that’s the thing. We’ve got an inflated wage bill and a squad that certainly doesn’t match our wage expenditure. So is definitely be all for giving Welbefk a new deal if it meant reducing his salary.

Edit: just checked and apparently he’s on 70k? In which case I’m in full support of a renewal for the same or a reduced wage but he doesn’t deserve any type of increase that’s for sure.

3 Likes

Replace 3rd choice striker with first choice winger

1 Like

My concern is he’ll be taking Nelson and Eddie’s game time.

2 Likes

If his job really just as a third choice striker and that position is such a hard sell I can’t see any more reason for him to want to sign a deal to stay as another player to sign a deal to come into that role. Throughout his career he’s at least had a sniff of being a starting winger or even forward under Wenger.

We have room for a first choice winger which is where a fair number of Welbeck’s Arsenal appearances have come from. I doubt any of us asking for a better player than him are asking us to purchase a third choice striker. I want a first choice winger.

4 Likes

What I said

We need to upgrade the first eleven with a winger. And by doing so Lacazette automatically becomes the back up striker. Natural progression in the squad…

1 Like

Thank you :clap:

Defence, defence, defence (preferably first :rofl:)

1 Like

Would rather he stay over Mkhi now tbh

4 Likes