Dad Tips

Okay, so I have a 5 month old baby boy. My wife travels a lot for work during the fall and winter months so I am playing Single Dad quite a bit right now. What are your best dad tips? What do you like to do with your kids when you’re on solo duty? So far our best thing has been going for walks outside and pulling baby around the house in his rock and play like a sled on the wood floors. My best dad tip for a little baby is this:

https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Merlins-Magic-Sleepsuit-Microfleece/dp/B0095YY7RY

He sleeps from about 7p to 5a every night in his crib with very rare wake ups.

1 Like

Where do you live? The kind of winter is a big factor here.

It sounds like your boy will probably start crawling sometime this winter. Find some go-to indoor spots with play areas that are good for relatively young babies - sometimes malls will have them, or in some areas you can find indoor playspaces with baby sections, or some childrens museums will have dedicated baby areas - so they can practice crawling and you can get the hell out of the house. Leaving the house with a baby in the winter is such a pain in the ass that if you’re not careful you just won’t do it very often, and that’s not great for anybody.

1 Like

I live in butt ass cold snow and ice winter Mid-November to mid-March.

1 Like

I hear that. I spent the first winter of my boy’s life in South Bend, IN, the next four (so far) in Salt Lake City.

If you don’t find some good indoor spaces to visit frequently, by March you’re going to be like Jack Nicholson in the Shining except wearing a baby carrier.

3 Likes

Damn, I never thought of how shitty it would be to have a baby in those condintions. I’ve got a 2 year old and a 4 month old and they get pissy if they don’t get to go outside. Or as the 2 year old calls it “outshide”. At 5 months old there isn’t a whole lot you can do to get him less fussy because the attention span just isn’t there. The baby Einstein toys seem keep them pretty calm.

Sean Connery is your 2 year old child?

10 Likes

My daughter has huge special needs so my insights may not be the most applicable but swimming is always a winner even with tiny ones.

Lol, well he’s got a funky accent because he speaks a couple of languages. English from me Spanish from mom. He will bust out with half English half spanish sentences, I don’t know what he’s saying half the time.

Don’t teach your dad how to use whatsapp. Thats my tip.

Give them time to do nothing and play. Kids are so over scheduled these days. It runs everyone ragged, parents and kids alike. Just chill and let them be for a bit.