Cristiano Ronaldo

So they came up short because they shoehorned their best player in the side? That makes no sense.

Messi has been carrying those same players you mentioned, Di Maria has typically been a bottler for Argentina, same goes for Higauin and the others.

It’s a fallacy that Argentina remain juggernauts of world football.

Name me a world class defender, goalkeeper or midfielder they’ve produced in the last decade?

Messi, Higuain, Aguero, Di Maria. They are world class players but there was a lot of dross behind them.

1 Like

Exactly, wasn’t working with anywhere near the quality some would think.

And even those ones that were quality shyed away when it mattered most.

Compared to the dross behind Ronaldo or next to him at the time they won the euros. I think Argentina was much better outfit than Portugal

And the one in the semi final against Wales. That not like a big goal.
Not a great team but take him out of it and there’s no belief in that side and doesn’t come close to winning this.

Only thing I remember about the Euros was the finals was fucking dreadful, thanks Deschamps for bottling it.

1 Like

Fast forward four years. Spin rinse and repeat by the home coach

1 Like

The dross won the Euros without him.

Also helped that Portugal avoided playing a strong side until they got to the finals.

More nay sayers😒 without his goals they would not even be there in the first place

Could say the same for Nani or Quaresma. All this bullshit mythology you guys are trying to paint like Ronaldo carried Portugal to the final. Like Portugal didn’t play some of the shittest football known to man.

2 Likes

In keeping with the rest of the tournament and all the teams involved.
Would you class anyone as unlucky? Wales had a great tournament but lost deservedly to Portugal.
So don’t see anybody else having a hard luck story who can say they deserved it more.

Portugal would’ve been knocked out if the group stage format wasn’t so trash. Seriously whos bright idea was to qualify 3/4 teams from groups and all the :clown_face: that approved of it.

8 Likes

I think with football (or in sport) we often fall into the trap of thinking the winners always ‘deserved’ it. They often don’t. Did Portugal deserve the cup after finishing 3rd in their group and winning one game in regulation time?

Ah the 24 team format been fucking football over since world cup 82

2 Likes

I mean look at this dumb shit. Who comes up with something like this?

4 Likes

The hate goes straight to the veins

Don’t know mate but teams who come 3rd and 4th in domestic Leagues win Champions Leagues.

1 Like

I think you’ve just ended me Stroller.

1 Like

Maybe not but did they really deny anyone more worthy in that tournament.
Your point is well made just not conclusive for me.
A bit like when Greece won Ive always felt it was more a failing on the other teams.

Ronaldo supporters tend to bring up international football like something he edges over Messi, but if you actually think about it, it’s quite the opposite.

They argue that the Euro is harder than Copa. Generally it’s true, but not the one, and the way that Ronaldo won it. He got Portugal to the final by playing Iceland, Austria, Hungary, Croatia, Poland, Wales. Doesn’t look harder than the likes of Venezuela, Ecuador, Colombia, Chile, Uruguay,… eh ? Even so Portugal could only draw all the way to the semi lol.

Then because Ronaldo didn’t really play in that final, his achievement can only be counted as “got Portugal to the Euro final”. But by that standard, Messi got Argentina to like, 5 Copa finals? And a WC final, which Ronaldo can only dream of. So if we look at it that way, Messi pisses all over Ronaldo on international level.

The comparison with Alexis is dumb as shit. Chile won 2 Copas against Argentina, both times on the penalty spot after drawing 0-0. So he was no better than Messi on those occasions. On all other ones, we know the answer.

4 Likes