Cristiano Ronaldo

I know, just kidding. I was just catching up with Serie A and noticed Milan lost to Napoli so had to tease you a bit about it.
I’m reading your post in the Serie A thread now.

1 Like

Beat Bayern Munich and Madrid to win in Europe too.

1 Like

Yes/pretend the story never came out. Football as a whole was very happy to sweep that under the carpet and just get back to arguing who is better between him and Messi. Nobody wanted to confront that situation and reckon with it.

Edit: woops, didn’t realise how old a post I was replying to.

2 Likes

2 years really :eyes:

I’ll never be able to wrap my head around the Messi vs. CR7 debate.

Messi is better in every imaginable way bar his aerial ability. He scores more, creates more, passes more, passes better, dribbles better, wins more.

The whole “CR7 has done it in more leagues” crap has to die too. Ronaldo went from the biggest club in England to the biggest club in football to the biggest club in Italy. He barely won a league title at Real Madrid in his time there and went to a team who had a monopoly over Italian football and they’ve declined steadily ever since.

Or the whole “CR7 won an international tournament” yeah he did. But he didn’t play in the final, don’t think he even scored in the group stages and has never had a great international tournament. Messi has made the WC final and multiple Copa America finals with some of the poorest Argentina teams in memory (no great goalkeeper, defender or midfields).

They are two eternally great football players. Arguably the two best. But the gap between them is too big for this to be a debate that rages on as long as it does.

10 Likes

Gap between their footballing abilities are immense and it’s a shame that the game isn’t designed in a way to highlight this.

If current generation who get to see them live can’t appreciate this, this stupid dicussion will linger on for eons.

2 Likes

I thought the allegation came a lot before Messi Ronaldo competition began. I remember everyone really wanted Ronaldo to fail due to this allegation, especially considering he was a United player.

Amen brother :pray:

The alleged rape took place 2010 or beforehand, the story came out in Der Speiel I think in 2018. I could be fuzzy on someone those dates, but it became public knowledge a long time after the event, and the rivalry was well established.

The rivalry between him and Messi isn’t the key point here, my point really was that a lot of people would much rather focus on trivial matters rather than come to terms with this.

1 Like

I agree yet I don’t think you can blame anyone for this.
The problem with such cases is that there is so little information to go with that it is difficult to make a judgement.
I used to think that you can make up your mind that someone is guilty if they pay the hush money. But then Johnny Depp paid the money and yet provided evidence that he was the victim.
You can’t even deem someone completely innocent then you risk finding out that the person dragged the case long enough to bankrupt the victim.

He kept changing his story for one, and has admitted that she said no to him several times before penetration occurred. I think there’s a lot of info out there, people just don’t want to engage with it at all.

I don’t claim to have the definitive answer about what happened, obviously, but this isn’t some spurious case based on nothing at all, it looks rather bad for him.

1 Like
1 Like

Surely not :joy:

The true goat.

There’s just nobody like him. Not Messi. Not that Stad Padder. Nobody.

1 Like

Do you guys think Luis Ronaldo would have had 15-18 years of high quality football in him if not for the injury?

Nope. Guy liked to party too much like Ronaldinho

3 Likes

Probably not. He loved partying too much and didn’t enjoy training.

But the 8 or so years he’d have given us would have been absolutely incredible.

I think he would always have been done by around 04-06 anyway because his dedication after he won the WC and the La Liga with Real Madrid just plummeted.

But props to him for having the desire and will power to return from the catastrophic 2 and a half years of injuries that he did and still being one of the best players in the world.

1 Like

Massive props.
I didn’t know how severe the injury was until I read this

There is no doubt about that. Ronaldo had a problem called trochlear dysplasia. This makes the relationship between the kneecap and the femur a bit unstable. There is no direct surgery for that so the kneecap keeps, for a lack of a better word, “dancing” on the femur. As a result, Ronaldo needed constant monitoring so he could keep it as stable as possible, because this was a bone dysfunction of his own development.

Athletes that have a lot of power are also at risk of muscle and tendon injuries. Slow individuals normally don’t suffer these types of problems. But Ronaldo’s injuries weren’t because his body was weak, but because of his explosive capacity. He didn’t just run fast in a straight line, he also changed direction at incredible speed. There were several moments when Ronaldo fell, stood up, and then moved from left to right very fast…so it was obvious, by the that way he played, that injuries were always a possibility.

At the beginning of 1999, Inter had already called Dr Saillant to monitor Ronaldo’s tendons, both in the right and the left kneecap. It was known that the degeneration was relatively big but no one thought about surgery before his injury. The injury happened on November 23, 1999. After 20 minutes, Ronaldo was about to spin and then suddenly stopped. I was on the bench and at that moment we noticed that something wasn’t right. He asked to be replaced and walked normally but when I arrived in the locker room and bent his knee I saw that the centre of the tendon was ripped. This was Ronaldo’s first injury. I did the monitoring and then he went to Paris to have an operation with Dr Saillant. We then did all the rehabilitation monitoring and at the beginning of every month we would go to Paris.

Around the beginning of April, we started to think that he was training normally. He was playing and had already been released by the doctor who performed the surgery and told he could possibly make his return to the pitch. But Inter are very meticulous with rehabilitation, so at the beginning of that month we travelled, with Dr. Franco Combi, who was Inter’s doctor at the time, to talk to Dr. Saillant about the possibility of Ronaldo playing in the final of the Italian Cup against Lazio or the match against Juventus which was two weeks later.

We took Ronaldo to Paris to see the doctor and he said that it was okay for him to play in the match against Lazio. We asked him how much time he would be able to play for and he said 15 to 20 minutes. When he returned for that match, he ripped the knee-cap tendon completely. His knee-cap actually exploded and it ended up in the middle of his thigh.

If I showed you the photos I have from this case you wouldn’t believe it. Right after the surgery his knee was the size of a football ball. There were three or four tubes draining the blood, it was something unbelievable. We had a few moments at the hospital when he was crying because he wanted morphine to stop the intensity of pain. One day in the middle of the night he called me and asked: “tell me I am going to be able to play football again, please don’t lie to me”.

To think he came back from such an injury, won the world cup and played 177 times for Real scoring 104 goals.
Respect.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Matic is lucky he won’t be playing against Ronaldo anytime soon.
Lad would’ve taken that personally made it his goal to break Nemanja ankles. :rofl:

1 Like