Coronavirus

It should be your decision. I get the caution, but if you, the parent, are OK with your daughter having the jab then it should be an option for children with underlying health conditions. It sounds like it’s been a horrible year for you and your daughter - worse than many others in the sense that she had to shield and you went long periods without seeing her. Hardly seems fair that others can just get on with things now, but she’s still in limbo.

2 Likes

If me and my mates get Pfizer I am tempted to rename our whatsapp group chat to the Pfizer Chiefs

1 Like

It’s not a group when it’s just you and one other person :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

My WhatsApp group with the lads is called AZ Alkmaar

1 Like

It’s getting on for 18 months now, and will certainly go beyond that before anyone vaccinates her. I can’t get my head around why vulnerable children, or the children who have actually died of covid haven’t been a part of the national conversation. Literally nobody seems to want to acknowledge this dimension of the pandemic, that there are children, maybe not many but certainly not none who really need this vaccine to get their lives back.

2 Likes

Unfortunately there’s too many fearful morons that don’t want the safest vaccines ever made in kids.

It’s a shame but until it gets approved for kids her age, she won’t be allowed to get it.

tenor (31)

4 Likes

Got my first dose today.
Took just 10-15 mins to get the dose. Convenient stuff.

3 Likes

What’s the main hit with a delay? Holidays?

Indian or Delta variant what ever its called now apparently.

The complete removal of everything was never discussed here so doesn’t concern me. We are a levels kinda country :joy:

It’s crazy how late some places are getting the vaccine. It really underlines the disparity between people.

Well, in our case, it is the incompetency of our government, rather than unavailability or disparity.
120 KM from where I live, there is Serum Institute of India which is the global manufacturer of Astra Zeneca Vaccine.

Some of you must have received the shots made here.

If our government wasn’t hell bent to make Covaxin - a different vaccine financed by the government - available to the masses, they could have placed an order with Serum Institute.
They had to retract once the second wave hit us.

3 Likes

I think we have another year of severe restrictions ahead unfortunately.

We need the whole planet to get vaccinated . There are huge manufacturing and logistical problems to overcome as well as a massive problem with vaccine hesitancy among a significant minority of the worlds population.

Must literally still need another 12 billion does at least and another 7 billion booster shots in the next 18 months to get life back to near normal globally. The numbers are staggering and a huge amount still to do.

With the exponential growth in the U.K. from the Delta variant that is now affecting younger people badly too, we are potentially less than 5 or 6 weeks away from hospitalisations being up over 1,500 a day again and that’s before even factoring in a potential further relaxation of restrictions. And that’s with a huge amount of vaccines already given. At that point the hospitals will be collapsing.

Realistically we need double vaccines for all and the booster shots starting before we’ll be able to crowd in the Emirates to see our team shitting around in person again.

Can’t wait until we get on top of this but not even thinking about a holiday abroad until late 2022 at the earliest. When that time comes I’m going to bloody well enjoy it!!!

2 Likes

I think holiday restrictions will still apply as they’re based on the threat of other countries to us using a different scale (although I guess it affects how many people they can squeeze into a plane too). I think the only things really affected are things like nightclubs being allowed to open. The rest was pretty much removal of arbitrary limits like 30 at an indoor wedding and requiring table service at a bar and mask wearing etc.

Consensus among most I’ve seen is that what we have now is basically fine and it can carry on for another few weeks.

2 Likes

More scaremongering BS. Hospitalisations are DOWN massively. You posted before about the meeting with the doctor who said the indian variant was gonna kill us all too. Please be considerate when posting things that are not entirely true as people reading this sort of stuff can take it the wrong way.

4 Likes

Firstly, I really hope you’re right that it turns out to be nothing more than scaremongering. I thought it was informed by my neighbour a respected senior hospital consultant who seemed to know and also by what I’m seeing some scientists start to say increasingly about the need for more caution as well as dramatic increases in case numbers that usually leads after a time delay to more hospitalisations. And in fact there are more people in hospital than 2 weeks ago in the U.K. suggesting this may now be going the wrong way and most certainly not down massively from when delta’s foothold became established. I did in fact check that data before my earlier post.

Secondly, I didn’t say it was going to kill us all but that unless double vaccinated it was a lot more deadly/serious for the young than other variants before this. I think the death rate will still be below 1 percent (partly because of vaccine protection for many that catch it) although I know young fit people who have suffered terribly with long COVID from infection last year and also had a close relative die at least in part due to COVID. My wife has also had her family (relatively young) very badly affected/hospitalised in Brazil by this where the virus has run with less control and where there are more serious variants. Perhaps my personal lived experience therefore makes me more cautious too.

Thirdly I’m not trying to be inconsiderate and I’m sorry you’ve taken it that way. It’s the same warning I pass on to my friends and the family. I do this because I love them and I hope they’ll take reasonable care to protect themselves until at least double vaccinated.

My intention was good with the warnings and I’m sorry that you have taken it as inconsiderate, bull shit and scaremongering. Please therefore accept my apology. My intention was to be helpful as I hope you’ll understand from my attempts to explain above and I’m very sorry you’ve not taken it that way. My sincere apologies once again.

4 Likes

@Cristo how can you like Kroenkeoutplease’s post and then turn around and like MM calling him out for bullshit scaremongering?!

If you’re gonna like his post at least don’t stick a dagger between his shoulder blades the minute someone calls him out :joy:

4 Likes

I liked the bit about the holiday restrictions and holiday being enjoyed :laughing: because I agree it’ll be another year before we can have normal holidays again.

@Bl1nk is it possible to introduce a like system where you can like specific paragraphs in a post so that it doesn’t appear that you like the WHOLE post when it’s only a part of the post?? Haha

Alternatively I could just stop liking so many posts but that means I’d have to pay attention to the content and I don’t know how I feel about that

5 Likes

:+1:Trion likes this

Actually I dont