Coronavirus

None of the new variants showing significant escape from vaccines.

Even better than we could have dared to hope for.

The border restrictions that the gov ARE doing seem to be sufficient in stopping any surges.

Unbelievable. I think countries that have large levels of vaccinated populations are now over the worst of Covid.

Have to get these vaccines to places like India and Brazil, but looks like the vaccines will end this pandemic :tada::tada::tada:

Another way this thing is NOT the flu. Nowhere near as frequent mutations and genetic drift. Means talk of a yearly jab is not true.

Youā€™ll need max maybe a 3rd dose depending on how well we can cooperate and end outbreaks across the world.

6 Likes

I keep reading and seeing about people booking their covid vaccines themselves.

Is it just Scotland that its not down to you? The NHS contact you here via the now famous blue letter through the letterbox telling you when you have your appointment lol.

Not that Iā€™m complaining :joy: takes the effort from your hands

Well we definitely donā€™t have letters through the post. I got a text message telling me to call a number to book an appointment. But in terms of the age qualification, as soon as itā€™s announced that your age group qualifies, you can book an appointment online, or you can wait for a text telling you to book an appointment online or via a phone call.

1 Like

You must have had yours back in January then :wink:

Iā€™m in England, and I got a blue letter through the post.

OK, now I feel left out

I think you only get one if you havenā€™t taken steps to get the vaccine yourself i.e contacted your GP etc.

2 Likes

Was at my grandparents yesterday, theyā€™ve recently had the 1st dose and didnā€™t suffer any sickness from it.

6 Likes

I remember when this thread was always in the top threads in this past year and a bit.

Seems to be getting quieter and quieter with only the odd posts now which is great to see :blush:

2 Likes

I havenā€™t been watching the numbers in the UK at all but I caught them on the news at ten tonight and at 1,600 thatā€™s less than four times the number here with more than ten times the population and with things more open. As Elec as been saying for a while now vaccination is the way out of this.

6 Likes

There were, on average, 16 COVID deaths per day in the UK last week. Itā€™s good but weā€™re not quite out of the woods yet and Iā€™d imagine weā€™re not there yet (in terms of herd immunity).

1 Like

Test events have ramped up this weekend. Next couple of weeks are massive now on feedback from them.
Seems quarantine going for those getting contacted by the NHS as having been in contact with someone proved positive.
If no symptoms have lateral flow tests but carry on as normal.
Guess with vaccinations we are in a stronger position. Just got too hope for the best.

1 Like

Yes, heard about both of those things. In the Midlands there were 3 cases of the Indian variant last week. The plan was to do an immediate mass testing of the local vicinity in a nearby school. I hope they followed through with that.

The relaxation on self isolation rules feels like taking the stabilizers off a learner push-bike now. I can only hope it works.

Do you think that a few months ago when more people were being tested and therefore our figures were going up that it might be the opposite now? Fewer people electing to be tested, ignoring symptoms and maybe even passing them on?

1 Like

Not sure. I sort of use the schools as a guideline and thatā€™s been mainly positive.
As long as we donā€™t try accelerating things, we get more people vaccinated by the day and give ourselves our best chance out hopefully we get the route out.

1 Like

Have to say Iā€™m surprised at how high the yes is

Iā€™m not at all, especially because the scope of the question is wide. You have people who are vulnerable or have vulnerable loved ones who, vaccine or no vaccine, have been bombarded with the message this is dangerous, weā€™ve all been conditioned to think a certain way about public gathering over the last year. Then of course thereā€™s the worry that this could all go belly up and weā€™ll end up going backwards.

Also itā€™s not ridiculous to be relieved at the signs life is going back to something we can recognise as normal and also be anxious. I saw my daughter for a first visit during school term in over a year on Saturday. As brilliant as that was it was also hard not to be a bit apprehensive about whether now is the right time.

8 Likes

Perfectly summed up there, fella :+1:

The media love to drum up hysteria, and itā€™s the exact same awful medical science reporting thatā€™s the culprit.

I have been stressing the need to take this seriously from the beginning in this thread.

But we have no gotten to a point where we can ease up.
I think personally, if everyone involved is vaccinated, the risk is very very low of catching COVID anywhere.

Like Iā€™d go to a relativeā€™s house inside no problem.

1 Like

Anything this fucking dumb cunt endorses is not to be trusted.

Well done joe Biden :clap:

6 Likes