Chelsea

Yeah, I agree.

Even after they stopped spending insane levels in the 2000s, in the last 10 years or so Chelsea was run in a very unusual way and not in a way that any of the other American-owned clubs are run.

They had projectable costs (ie, wage bill) comparable to City or United but projectable revenues closer to Arsenal and Tottenham. And basically they just relied on two things to make up the difference year-to-year: Player sales which could be fully applied to the current year of the sale (versus purchases which are amortized over the life of the contract) or Roman periodically injecting money into the club from his off-shore holding company.

It actually worked in terms of FFP but no normal business really runs this way and its certainly not how Liverpool, Arsenal, or United are run.

1 Like

We shall see.
I don’t foresee them to be completely irrelevant but Chelsea, sure as fuck, won’t be spending enough to run away with the titles like they used to.

If the new owners create any sort of imbalance in the management hierarchy(which has been impeccable) in Chelsea, we are in for a good time.

You’ve got the most posts in the Chelsea thread, my dear.

(Although @Josh noticed the same about me and the Scouse thread the other day. Stones and glass houses and all that)

1 Like

Most posts in a canter unsurprisingly

1 Like

I post a lot in a lot of threads

Got yer fingers in a lot of pies, 'ave ya?

Pheobica does post a lot about Chelsea in lots of threads

2 Likes

Chelsea Football Club can confirm that a final and definitive agreement was entered into last night to sell the Club to the Todd Boehly/Clearlake Capital consortium. It is expected that the transaction will be completed on Monday. The Club will update further at that time.

From a Russian crook who ploughed his own money into the club to American businessmen who will want to make a profit.

Chelsea will learn what it’s like to be self sufficient after decades of a sugar daddy buying success.

1 Like

This is worse than our situation. Clearlake Captial won’t just expect a return, their business model seems to be based on aggressive asset management. Give it a couple of years and a prime piece of land just off the Fulham Broadway will be bought by Clearlake Property Management (inset tax-haven here) Limited and they’ll be playing home games on an industrial estate next to the M25 in no time.

6 Likes

You should have said next to a car park
Chelsea’s spiritual home indeed!

5 Likes

Hazard barely played in the CL this season, but somehow Chelsea banked themselves ÂŁ15m for it. Why do things like that never happen to us?

2 Likes

Next Klopp will start complaining about barely keeping the lights on

1 Like

Chelsea and City you know

Why am I not surprised this tit is a Chelsea fan.

Why are people against others having fun?

Can’t celebrate wins, can’t celebrate trophies

4 Likes

2 trophies
CL final
2nd place in PL with 90+ points

That’s a damn good season for any club

11 Likes

Nothing wrong celebrating their achievements but it feels a bit weird having a parade the day after a final loss.

5 Likes

Matter of logistics.
Players & Staff would want to go on their holiday. the preseason starts in July with the first friendly on the 12th of July. Naturally, people would be keen to be off asap rather than wait a few more days for a parade.

Plus you have permissions etc.

3 Likes

Yeah the parade was always booked in for that day. I like to picture them disposing of all the “champions league winners” banners and stuff they obviously would have had just in case :sweat_smile:

4 Likes