Chelsea

I rate Tuchel quite highly, you can see the tactical changes the press triggers and clear structure in just three games, such a shame we never got the chance to get him…on another note he might have some issues with their expensive assests on the bench that might struggle to get in the team with the way he likes to play.

3 Likes

We could have hired him in 2018 and now again before Chelsea did. Really annoyed we’ve missed out on a top, top coach. Although I’m not sure he would have accepted the job right now. Think Chelsea compete for the title next season.

2 Likes

I would never condone abusing someone online but he’s probably the only guy I’d consider making an exception for. I despise drunk drivers.

2 Likes

Now, this is interesting because Tony Adams would have been one of them. Obviously, this was on his way to being an alcoholic but you take the point.
Tbf I share the sentiment on drunk drivers though.

1 Like

Alcoholism is a disease and it’s devastating. But at work we have to deal with drunk drivers who sometimes really hurt other people or even, like in Alonso’s case, kill them. The fact he was able to walk away with a fine as a quirk of the justice system over there never sat well with me.

I got into a huge argument with a Chelsea supporter I went to school with when I talked shit about Alonso online and called him a murderer. My classmate was like, “What more do you want from him? He faced the justice system.” And my feeling is that if you’re going to be such a public figure raking in cash for playing a game after you did something awful you should be out there doing PSAs and the like. Not to embarrass him or humiliate him but to make it clear that he was so selfish that it cost someone their life. Obviously I have strong feelings about it because of what I do at work.

Edit : I forgot that Alonso also knocked Bellerin semi-unconscious during a match so I’d like to take back any measured criticism I have written and just say that I hate him for being a Chelsea player who injured one of my favorite players.

3 Likes

Well it’s interesting one this line on alcoholism. George Best is one of the greatest talents ever seen in English football.
I was watching a documentary about him not so long ago.
At the end of it he was seen interviewed saying he hoped to be remembered for his football and not the alcoholism.
This then was more or less endorsed by players and journalists too.
My problem was during the film we found out he had attacked his wife while being drunk and resulted in her needing treatment.
I don’t think you get the right to just have the football side of your reputation remembered when you have this history.
Alcoholism is a disease but it can never justify physical harm.

6 Likes

Best was before my time but I’d like to think a guy spiraling like that today would be caught by the system before he did any real damage to others. I also think we understand way more about addiction now than we did back then. I roll my eyes when some judges ask defendants why they haven’t tried harder to stop drinking. It doesn’t work like that. You can’t pashun your way through it. :xhaka:

Also Chelsea sucks and I’m sad they hired a good coach we should have hired in 2018.

1 Like

He didn’t really though, did he? He and his family paid their way out of it. You shouldn’t be able to be too rich for prison.

The family of the girl also accepted a settlement of half a million for “moral damage caused” from Alonso, which resulted in his punishment being reduced even more. That doesn’t sit right with me either, that they could give up on justice for their daughter in exchange for money. Unless they were convinced he’d get away with it so thought they might as well take the cash. But even so.

One thing I will add though, is that all those people in the car with Alonso knew he had been drinking and the girl who died wasn’t wearing a seatbelt. They were all irresponsible, though obviously not to his extent, but wearing a seatbelt could have saved her life.

4 Likes

Missed your calling as a prosecutor Pheebs. That’s better than I could articulate it.

What’s your opinion on the Harry Dunn case, Josh?

(Probably the wrong thread for it but it generally follows the trend of conversation)

There a few layers to that case.

I have absolutely no experience or understanding of diplomatic immunity (outside of Lethal Weapon 2) but I have plenty of experience handling drunk driving cases along with hit and run cases. It’s one of the first things you learn to do in our office.

Keep in mind I haven’t seen her BAC or anything like that but at the very least she’s guilty of what we call Hit and Run Failing to Stop and Remain at the Scene of a Bodily Injury Accident which carries a year in my jurisdiction.

Is there enough evidence to show that she was criminally negligent to charge her with the upgraded Criminally Negligent Manslaughter (3 year max)? There’s definitely an argument to charge her with it but I don’t know if I win that at trial. A good defense attorney would presumably argue that it isn’t criminal negligence for her to accidentally drive on the right-hand side of the road. It’s just a mistake.

We have a lot of hit and run crashes that are also drunk driving incidents where the defendant leaves the scene because they know they’re drunk. I actually had a case where a guy fled the scene and when the police got to his house he was gulping down hard liquor so his breath test would be all corrupted.

Do I think she was drunk which is why she forgot to drive on the left? Yeah probably. But again I don’t have the case file.

In terms of the whole extradition argument I think it’s bogus but that’s the US for you. It doesn’t matter if she was married to an unspecified government official (I’ve seen rumors he was CIA but obviously I don’t know), she killed someone. Maybe it was an accident, maybe she was drunk, what we do know is that she left the scene.

tl:dr --> She should be extradited back to face justice for the hit and run and possibly negligent manslaughter but I don’t know how those charges are litigated in the UK

2 Likes
1 Like

10 points from 4 games #tuchelball

2 Likes

He’s an insane person and will fall out with everyone but we already have a coach who falls out with everyone and sucks. So annoying he went there.

3 Likes

Feels like new manager bounce, not that impressed

We do need a larger sample size, I’m just spewing they didn’t keep Lampard as I would have loved them to miss top 7 alongside us.

1 Like

Persons who’s very competant that falls out with everyone versus this incompetant

Still hurts man.

1 Like

When he was a kid we were good. The new generation will be all over Man City and Chelsea instead.

Imagine, “Loved Arsenal when I was a kid, me. Gervinho, Chamakh, Bendtner… and I couldn’t get enough of Walcott being offside.”

6 Likes

Ollie Watkins and Grealish are both youngsters and Arsenal fans right? We still played scintillating football even in the broken down Walcott days cuz that’s just how damn good Arsene was. Reality is most of the goodwill ppl have towards Arsenal now is because Arsene, now that he’s gone yeah it’s gonna evaporate pretty quickly.

6 Likes