Cedric Soares (17)

Yeah, I think he handled Dias well. To the point where he was forced to switch to Tierney’s side but again, didn’t cause us any trouble.
For the first goal, Ramsdale and possibly White were more responsible imo. For the second goal, Saka naively tried to win a throw in a d it backfired.

Tomiyasu should absolutely play over him but this wasn’t the slaughter I expected.

1 Like

Was pretty decent tonight I thought, didn’t make any howlers and was pretty good combining with others down his side.

He’s obviously our backup and over the last few games I don’t think he’s done any worse than one can hope for for someone in that role.

4 Likes

Back ups that were not good enough to cover an extended run have been our downfall for years but it’s a tough balance to strike across a whole team. If Cedric had to come in and cover a game against Watford or Southampton, fine. But a run this long he isn’t good enough for.

2 Likes

This is the thing. And this isn’t just about Cedric. It’s about the whole “he’s a good back up” or “he is a good squad option” rhetoric. A lot of the players these lines are spoken about are only a good back up option if we never actually have to use them.

2 Likes

True, but to be a bit of a contrarian, we need to get better to have better second choices as well.

As far as players were concerned last (summer) transfer window we were a midtable team with no European football, a big brand and a newish manager who still needed to switch out large portions of the squad to try their football out properly.

There are limits to how good of a second fiddle RB you can get to come play for us without spending much money :sweat_smile:

Say we get top 4 now we have different pulling power… but would we prefer a new striker which is very expensive? another CM?

Maybe we could find a RB in the youth team idno. I still think Saka should play RB tho so I’ll bang that drum :grin:

We are incurring losses every season maintaining just handful of players acquired at high transfer fee.
We are not reaching a position where all our backups are also amazing talents with great application on the field.

Elneny, Rob Holding, Soares with decent 5-6/10 performances is the best we will get and that’s the case with most clubs.

2 Likes

Well deserved call-up. Should have filled in for Cancelo during the Euros.

Btw, where the fuck is Sa? One of the best goalkeepers in the PL not good enough for a place in the Portuguese national team?

2 Likes

He has been good enough for a decent spell now though and that’s what you need from a backup. We aren’t city who can just have Walker, Cancelo, 50M Rapist, Zinchenko + about 4 CB’s who are comfortable at LB in the squad.

Injury to Trent and Liverpool are downgraded, same for Reece James at Chelsea (Azpi probs the best backup tbf), United without Wan Bissaka. It’s the same for all teams barring the top two or three, the backups aren’t going to be as good as the first choice and it’s how well they can step in for whatever period needed. You don’t expect Tomi to be out for so long every season.

I think both Soares and Tavares are simply ‘fine’ backup players which we can improve on at a later date. Maybe this summer for RB once a striker and CM have been purchased.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Was decent again today bar one horrendous sloppy ball. Involved a lot going forward and seems to work well with Saka/Ode.

In other words, replacing him is not high priority, and I agree. Backups also have to be happy at the club, not causing any friction in the dressing room, and he’s probably at the stage of his career to be happy staying in his role.

5 Likes

Yeah I’ve been happy with his role in the team.

Regardless of what you think of him, he’s been a big part of the defence that has won 5 consecutive away games and 10 games out of 13.

Tomiyasu is better and I think we’ll really see just how much better when he comes back but for me RB is not a priority transfer area now.

7 Likes

One thing I like about Soares is that he seems to get along with the team. I see him front and centre in every little issue, always celebrating and seems content.

He’s earning nice money, he’s a weak link at the back but he’s been absolutely serviceable. He’s often targeted by teams but he’s done a good job and I like that he’s competent with the ball at his feet as it’s proving vital to us building from the back.

Not my favourite but I wouldn’t mind him staying another year

2 Likes

Who do we think Bellerin goes to? As he won’t stay as third choice RB

1 Like

I reckon Betis will sign him outright for about €10m.

4 Likes

As long as he’s happy thats the main thing but what a fall from grace he’s had lol

Yeah I think that seems likely. Looks like he’s doing well there, so makes sense.

I had totally forgotten about him haha I wonder if Arteta can revive his career, but probably not

1 Like

You know what Betis have some really good players and they’re battling for a CL place so he could potentially land at a CL club which is not bad for him.

His body really broke down on him though. Big shame as he was a proper Arsenal boy.

1 Like

He’s done okay but he’s a little suspect when he’s taken on or cut inside.
Good enough for now in this role.

1 Like
8 Likes