Cancel Culture and related issues

I don’t think it makes a difference, by just being online and creating content you make it easy to be cancelled and targeted, comes with the territory. All removing the dislike button does is remove a function which serves a useful purpose. Ultimately that’s worse for the consumer.

The problem for me is that it just further fosters snowflakery. Instead of removing everything that is perceived as hurting “someone’s mental health”, how about someone learns to have a bit of a thicker skin and realise not everyone will like, agree or interact with them. That’s life.

To me a lot of the hysteria caused over one’s feelings hurts and pandering to it is a very negative trend. Because where does it stop? What is offensive is subjective and relative per person. Who is the arbiter of what is allowed and what is not? It is a very dangerous slippery slope.

I rather be offended and hurt than deny freedom of speech and freedom of thought.

3 Likes

OK, heard it here first, cancel culture is just a fact and if you wanna exist in an online space you just have to accept it as a reality. No efforts should ever be made to prevent people being cancelled as it comes with the territory :grin:

It makes a difference to the content creator who gets a vicious online mob downvoting their videos and harming their livelihood. According to Matt Koval, who we’re taking at his word.

Tbf I get that you might feel it makes no difference, as that’s pretty much exactly how I feel about them removing the public display of downvotes.

“Leftism” nowadays. Just a vehicle for sociopaths to get ahead

How about some context?

1 Like

I don’t really disagree with much of this tbf, I’m just not sure it’s relevant to the point I made. All of that can be true at the same time as it being true that he received unfair treatment in comparison to the Tories and other Labour leaders.

Also, I don’t want to retread over too much of the Corbyn years, as it was a total shotshow in the end and its best to move on. The reason I brought it up was to respond to the idea that the BBC News output I some respect favours the opposition and is biased against the Tories, which I just can’t see. I take your point about the comedy output tending to have a left wing slant, certianly more than it has a right wing bias. I was more focusing on the news side of the organisation, which I think its more significant to examine if we’re discussing whether the BBC is partisan towards any particular party.

I appreciate you don’t like, or maybe even hate, Boris and Trump, so don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to label you anything that you aren’t because of your opinions here. I do appreciate that we’re broadly on the same side politically (leaving aside the “culture wars” type stuff where I think we do diverge, which can be significant), in that we both consider ourselves to be left wing rather than right wing, and I guess would probably consider Labour to be the party we’d be most naturally aligned to? Maybe this is just another example in the long history of leftist infighting :grin:

2 Likes

Hasn’t comedy always been this way? I’m not sure I could even name a right wing comedian if I was asked, other than Jim Davidson and Roy Chubby Brown.

1 Like

Geoff Norcott’s entire shtick is seemingly that he’s a working class Tory and how that’s soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo controversial.

I’ve seen interviews with Norcott and Simon Evans and they both said that they were often snubbed by other comedians because they weren’t left wing enough.

I can remember when there used to be disgusting right wing comedians on TV who would regularly tell racist, homophobic and sexist jokes on national TV until people like Ben Elton came along.

But neither Norcott or Evans are that right wing and are certainly not bigoted in the same way but it seems as if the cancel culture has meant that anyone who isn’t on the left is struggling to get on the BBC or any of the main channels.

As I’ve said before, when you have respected, left of centre comedians like Ricky Gervais, Stephen Fry, Rowan Atkinson, John Cleese, etc, saying that it’s gone too far, there must be some truth in it.

“The other comedians didn’t want to be my friend it’s cancel culture gone mad :cry:

Basically? :grin:

It could be that all the main channels are conspiring against these two comedians because of their politics because cancel culture has taken over the entire television industry. Or it could maybe be that these two particular comedians aren’t bigger because they aren’t necessarily that good and as a result they aren’t that popular with people. Perhaps the truth lies somewhere between the two.

But cancel culture is here and comedians both here and America are being affected.
Top comedy shows aren’t being shown on Netflix and loads of older respected, left leaning comedians have said they aren’t comfortable with what’s happening.

This is an article from the Guardian.

Which argues against what you’re saying?

The cancel culture is affecting what people can or can’t say on TV shows and top comedians are saying they don’t agree with it, which is what I’m saying.

You can say anything you want. No government is stopping them. The problem is, 9 out of 10 comedians aren’t funny. So they bomb, say something shitty about a group of people then get offended when that group of people tell them to shut the fuck up. Boo hoo…

99% of the complaints about “woke” culture are by shitty people doing and saying shitty things and then getting upset when people call them out. "WOKE CULTURE IS KILLING COMEDY!!!’ Fuck outta here. Your shitty, uninspired bitch fest you call “a bit” is killing comedy.

That’s like me going out in sandals and socks with my Bermuda shorts and then complaining that people don’t tell me I’m fashionable. Whiny little bitches.

That expression could be used to describe people that go around trying to get other people cancelled.

How are Little Britain and other popular mainstream comedy programmes offensive enough to get cancelled by Netflix and other broadcasters?

People seem to get offended on other peoples behalf way to much.

2 Likes

So people trying to cancel Dave chapelle didn’t happen then?

1 Like

Did they succeed?

1 Like

We really can’t quantify the opportunities lost in form of endorsements, gigs etc.
Someone like Dave can handle that but an upcomer may lose an earning.

1 Like

True. But he’s still not cancelled. His shows are out there to watch for anyone who wants to.

That’s one of the things about “cancel culture” I struggle with. You can go watch Louie CK’s (for example) stuff or buy his old specials. But how is his loss of earnings or opportunities different from just the market looking at him as a commodity and saying “eh, pass” He’s still free to make content but nobody has an obligation to consume it.

2 Likes